The Best Posts & Articles On “Motivating” Students

'Motivation quote' photo (c) 2010, photosteve101 - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

(NOTE: You might also be interested in my book, Helping Students Motivate Themselves: Practical Answers To Classroom Challenges.)

And check out its sequel, Self-Driven Learning.

Q & A Collections: Student Motivation brings all my Ed Week posts on student motivation together in one place.

I’ve put the word “motivating” in quotation marks for this post because I hate the word. Here’s how I put it in a previous post:

Anytime I hear or read about “motivating students,” I cringe a bit.

An organizing truism (one that I learned during my twenty-year community organizing career) is that you might be able to bribe, cajole, badger, or threaten somebody to do something over the short-term (I’ve certainly done my of that, and I’ve written about the negative results). But I don’t think you can really “motivate” anybody to do anything beyond a very, very, very short timeline, after which the initial enthusiasm quickly dissipates.

However, you can help another person find what will motivate themselves.

The posts in this “The Best…” list more of my thinking around this perspective.

You might also want to check-out articles I’ve written on this topic for other publications (some have similar titles, but different content):

The Washington Post: Bribing students: Another ‘magical solution’ that doesn’t work.

The New York Times: Helping Students Motivate Themselves

Education Week: Helping Students Motivate Themselves

Education Week: Several Ways To ‘Motivate’ the Unmotivated To Learn

Washington Post: Helping students motivate themselves

You might also be interested in The Best Resources For Showing Students Why They Should Continue Their Academic Career and My Best Posts On Students Setting Goals.

In addition, check-out The Best Resources For Showing Students That They Make Their Brain Stronger By Learning.

Here are My Best Posts On “Motivating” Students:

I’ve Never “Motivated” A Student

The Problem With “Bribing Students”

A Few Reflections On Daniel Pink’s New Book, “Drive”

My Thoughts On A Very Intriguing Video On Motivation & Incentives

The Difference Between Praise & Acknowledgment

How Do You Think Working Hard & Learning Everything You Can In This Class Might Help You Now & In The Future?

“Now I Know My Brain Is Growing When I Read Every Night”

On Rewards & Classroom Management

“What Drives Motivation in the Modern Workplace?”

Now This Is The Way To Make Academic Talks Accessible — Great Examples Of Graphic Note-Taking (this post contains a link to a graphic representation of Daniel Pink’s book, “Drive.”)

Cooperative Learning

Updates On Some Classroom Lessons & Research I’ve Been Doing

“Will Sleeping More Make Me Smarter?” — A Lesson I’m Trying This Week

“Mental Imagery” & Success

“Motivating Students Via Mental Time Travel”

Very Important Study On Learning & The Brain

Another Important Study On Motivation

Exceptional Interview With Daniel Pink

Hilarious Video Clip On Motivation, Alfie Kohn, & “The Office”

Some Wisdom From “This American Life”

More Evidence That Bribes Don’t Work For Actions That Require Higher Order Thinking Skills

Good Short Interview With Daniel Pink

Very Useful Articles On Motivation

“Relevance” & Student Learning

What Does Learning From Mistakes Do To Your Brain?

“Carrots and sticks: Procrastination fix?”

The Best Short Summary I’ve Seen Of Daniel Pink’s Book, “Drive”

“You Gotta’ Practice”

Motivation & Rewards

How Incentives Can Be Productive (But Not In The Way You Might Think)

The Best Articles On The New Study Showing That Intelligence Is Not “Fixed.”

How To Take Better Advantage Of Brain Plasticity

Daniel Pink On Grades, Autonomy & Inquiry

“How Does Our Brain Learn New Information?”

“When Students Focus On Tests, They Are Not Taking The Time To Think About Why They Are Learning”

“Words Speak Louder Than Money”

Highlights Of Twitter Chat With Daniel Pink

Does being reminded of money make you an uncooperative jerk or an independent thinker? is a blog post by Daniel Pink on some a new study. Even though it’s not my post, I’m adding it here because it’s probably the best place for it.

Is This The Strategy We Really Want To Use To Change Student Behavior?

Important Posts On Motivation

What Do New Studies Say Happens If You Are Treated Unfairly And/Or Feel Controlled?

“Does money really motivate people?”

Every Day I Discover How Little I Know — Here’s Another Example

A Great Example Demonstrating The Pitfalls Of Extrinsic Rewards

CEOs and the Candle Problem is a new article describing an old experiment about motivation and the ineffectiveness of incentives.

“You Cannot Make A Plant Grow — You Can Provide The Conditions For Growth”

Even More Evidence That “outside incentives can undermine the intrinsic motivations”

Classroom Leadership: Rewards Are Like Crack is by John T. Spencer.

“First Year Highlights: Student Motivation”

Starting the Conversation on Rethinking Awards Ceremonies is by Chris Wejr.

A Couple Of Posts On Motivation

Can’t Economists Stay Away From Schools? Don’t They Have Enough Other Things To Do?

Part Two Of “Can’t Economists Stay Away From Schools?” — My Worst Fears Realized

“Michael Sandel: Should we pay children to read?”

Toilet-Training, Incentives & Merit Pay

I’ve previously posted about The Progress Principle, a book by Professor Teresa Amabile. Here’s a short video interview with her:

Series Of Good Dan Pink Videos To Use With Students

“Reward Undermining”

Here’s What I Do During My Favorite Time Of The School Week

Is This The Most Important Research Study Of 2012? Maybe

Dan Pink was interviewed on CBS, and it really gets at some key elements of motivation and goal-setting. There’s nothing new there for people familiar with his work, but it’s a great piece to show to colleagues and to students. I’ve embedded it below, though am not sure if it will show-up in an RSS Reader:

Short, Sweet & Effective Advice On Helping Students Motivate Themselves

Surprise, Surprise: Study Finds That Relationships Promote Perseverance & Cash Bonuses Do Not

“Teachers As ‘Persuaders’: An Interview With Daniel Pink”

Links To The Entire Six Week Twitter Chat On Helping Students Develop Intrinsic Motivation

Media Coverage Of Mayo Clinic’s Research On Paying People To Lose Weight — Not Seeing The Forest For The Trees

How Did I Not Know About This National Academy Of Sciences Report On Student Motivation?

Need More Evidence About The Dangers Of Extrinsic Rewards? Here It Is From The Harvard Business Review

Infographic: “How to Motivate Employees” (& Maybe It Says Something About The Classroom, Too)

The More We Try To Control, The Less Chance Of Getting Our Preferred Outcomes

Quote Of The Day: Stop Telling Your Employees (& Students) What To Do

Quote Of The Day: “No One Likes To Be Changed”

This video demonstrates both the disadvantages of extrinsic motivation and the importance of helping our students develop creativity:

The Unengageables is a must-read post by Dan Meyer. It’s specifically talking about math, but much of what he says (and links to) related to motivation issues across all classes.

How Incentives Demoralize Us is by Barry Schwartz.

Nine Things Successful People Do Differently is by Heidi Grant Halvorson and appeared in the Harvard Business Review. What makes it particularly useful in class is an online assessment people can take on it — The 9 Things Diagnostic.

Student Motivations and Attitudes: The Role of the Affective Domain in Geoscience Learning is the very long title of a very useful page on motivation research.

Quote Of The Day: “Why Paying Kids to Do Homework Can Backfire”

14 Videos for Starting Dialogue on Rethinking Rewards, Awards is a must-see post from Chri Wejr.

Sandy Millin has a good post titled Motivation Stations (including student hand-outs) that is specifically geared to motivation for learning a second language.

When 3+1 is more than 4 is Harvard report on a new study that reinforces previous research findings that rewards only “work” if they are unexpected gifts.

Finding Drive is an article in Language Magazine about motivation in learning a second (or third) language.

Start Off The New Year With This Excellent Classroom Advice

Motivation Revisited is by David Deubelbeiss.

What does neuroscience research say about motivation and the brain? is by Judy Willis.

PISA 2012 Results in Focus: What 15-year-olds know and what they can do with what they know includes some very useful information, including this:

How to Harness Your Brain’s Dopamine Supply and Increase Motivation is from LifeHacker.

The Power Of Interest is by Annie Murphy Paul.

How to “Bake” Intrinsic Motivation: A Holiday Recipe for Your Classroom or School is from Sam Chaltain and Kim Farris-Berg.

Q-and-A with author Dan Pink: Using motivational questioning and more in the classroom is at Smart Blog on Education.

Three Things That Actually Motivate Employees is from the Harvard Business Review.

If You Weren’t Able To Attend Our Workshop On “Developing A Self-Motivated Student Culture,” These Tweets Have It Covered

When Classroom Culture Conflicts With EdTech appeared in Larry Cuban’s blog. I particularly like the first half, which provides an insightful critique of the tech tool, ClassDojo.

Another Study Demonstrates The Ineffectiveness Of Extrinsic Motivation, But Also Something More….

Language learning: what motivates us? is a very interesting article in The Guardian.

“Knowledge Motivates Preschoolers More Than Stickers, Study Says”

Why Incentives Don’t Actually Motivate People To Do Better Work is from Business Insider.

How To Motivate People – 4 Steps Backed By Science is from Barking Up The Wrong Tree.

My New British Council Post: “Creating The Conditions For Self-Motivated Students”

Classes of Donkeys is by David Truss, and offers some thoughtful commentary on the popular Class Dojo behavior management tech tool.

On Using And Not Using ClassDojo*: Ideological Differences? is by Larry Cuban. Motivating is from ELT Reflections, and is also on Class Dojo.

Another Shocker – NOT! Students Respond Better To Support Than Threats

New RSA Animated Video Of Daniel Pink Talk

OECD has published a short post with links titled Why policy makers should care about motivating students. I’ve got a lot of issues with the PISA test (see The Best Posts & Articles On 2012 PISA Test Results). However, the report the post links to contains a lot of important information on motivation.

Student Motivation: Age-Old Problem Gets New Attention is a new report from Education Week, which is very good but would be better if they included links to the studies that are cited. It also includes a survey of Ed Week readers on motivation questions that, because the sample isn’t scientifically identified, is of somewhat limited use.

Q & A Collections: Student Motivation is a post at Education Week Teacher that brings together all my posts — from the last three years — on that topic in one place.

Wanting it enough: why motivation is the key to language learning is from The Guardian.

Quote Of The Day: “The Secret of Effective Motivation”

“The Leftovers” Shared A Key To Motivation & Perseverance In The First 30 Seconds Of Last Night’s Episode

Gates’ Excuse for Poor Results of Educational Technology: “Unmotivated Students” and A Question for Bill Gates: How Can We Motivate Students When Their Futures Are Bleak? are both by Anthony Cody at Ed Week.

Nurturing Intrinsic Motivation and Growth Mindset in Writing is from Edutopia.

ASCD’s Ed Leadership Is Online – Here Are My Recommendations

How a Bigger Purpose Can Motivate Students to Learn is from MindShift.

What A Surprise – NOT! British Study Finds That Cash Rewards Don’t Motivate Students

Feedback is welcome.

You might also want to explore the 450 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Larry, I have some great resources listed in my free ebook. I was one of my final projects that I did on my masters degree. It has been read / reviewed over 20,000 times. http://www.myebook.com/index.php?option=ebook&id=15920
    By the way I will have my wife pick up a copy of your book when she works on her Fulbright Post Doc research.

2. Pingback: Some interesting reading…and BLOG to follow | Pierre Toussaint Academy

3. Pingback: Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week 23: I don’t know where this is going, but it feels like the right place

4. Pingback: Education is » Motivation

5. Pingback: Giving students control: encouraging intrinsic motivation in class | efl-resource.com

6. Pingback: Cultivating Student Leadership « Nbcschaplain’s Blog

7. Pingback: Cultivating Student Leadership |

8. Pingback: Student motivation through engagement & intrinsic rewards | MiddleWeb