The Best Tools For Cutting-Out & Saving Portions Of Online Videos (Or Annotating Them)

'Video Flag' photo (c) 2008, Cliff - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

You sometimes might want to only show portions of online videos and not its whole length. This is a short list of what I’ve found to be the best tools to use to do just that.

Here are my recommendations for The Best Tools For Cutting-Out & Saving Portions Of Online Videos:

Tube Chop allows you to very easily just cut-out the portion of the YouTube clip you want to show. As an example, I’ve embedded a two minute clip from the nauseatingly paternalistic movie “Dangerous Minds” into my other blog, Engaging Parents In School (Though I’ve got issues with the movie, the clip of a teacher home visit is great).

SafeShare.TV also lets you crop videos. Nik Peachey has written a good tutorial on how to use it.

Matt Cutts, a Google engineer, explains that it’s possible to directly link to any portion of a YouTube video by just adding a few characters to the end of a YouTube url address. For example. following a YouTube address, if you add #t=31m08s, it will take you 31 minutes and 8 seconds into the video.

Here’s another related app: Video Ant is a neat application that lets you easily “annotate” YouTube videos. You can read more about it at Free Technology For Teachers.

“Drag On Tape” lets you splice portions of different YouTube videos with an online editor. There are other online applications that allow you to cut portions of one video, but I don’t think any of them let you put them all together like “Drag On Tape.” Its slick interface certainly isn’t as simple as those others are, so it might a little tricky for some non-tech savvy people like myself, but many should be able to figure it out.

Embedplus

Reelsurfer lets you clip portions of videos. It doesn’t appear that different from the other tools on this list except in one important way — In addition to being able to use the service to clip YouTube videos, Reelsurfer lets you do the same thing with videos from Vimeo. That’s pretty unusual.

ViewRZ

The mobile app Bloop It lets you easily clip a twenty second clip from any video and send it to a friend.

StepUp.io is a new site that lets you easily pick any YouTube video, pick the specific segments you want to show from it, and then put them all together. That ability could be useful, though I think the option of making the segments “looping” is just an annoying feature.

What would really make StepUp.io very helpful would be if they added the ability to get segments from multiple videos and put them together — now that would make it stand out in the crowd of other sites.

Feedback, as always, is welcome.

If you found this post useful, you might want to look at the 460 other “The Best…” lists and consider subscribing to this blog for free.

1. Pingback: Sites and Soundbytes » Cut It Out!

2. Pingback: Jelmer Evers | Is ‘Flipping the Classroom’ zinvol? (deel 3)

3. You should try http://viewrz.com/, a free tool to chop a segment of a YouTube video. Videos are embedded on Facebook and you can save your video as a gif !