'Mouse Logitech' photo (c) 2010, Antonio Las - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Check-out my article in ASCD Educational Leadership, Technology: Moving from No to Yes.

All of my posts, books, and articles are designed to be accessible to English Language Learners and tech novices. However, there are a few that might be particularly appropriate for people new to tech, and to people who are introducing newcomers to the field.

I saw a post from another blog today that got me thinking that a list like this might be useful, and that’s the post “from somebody else” that is referred to in the headline.

Here are my choices for My Best Posts For Tech Novices (Plus A Few From Other People):

I’ll start off with the post from “somebody else.” Today, Poynter Online published Digital Journalist Survival Guide: A Glossary of Tech Terms You Should Know. Even though it’s targeting journalists, the glossary would be helpful to anyone.

Here’s another one from someone else: For Those Facebook Left Behind is a good New York Times article by David Pogue that explains social media and its major applications very, very simply.

Technology Tools to Get Teachers Started is nice post over at Edutopia.

I’ve published three posts/articles that might be particularly useful:

A Few Simple Ways To Introduce Reluctant Colleagues To Technology

More Simple Ways To Introduce Reluctant Colleagues To Technology

Additional Simple (But Slightly More Involved) Ways To Introduce Reluctant Colleagues To Technology

In addition, I’ve created several “The Best…” lists that would be worth a look, including:

The Best Places To Learn Web 2.0 Basics

The Best Places To Learn Computer Basics & How To Fix Tech Problems

The Best Eleven Websites For Students To Learn About Computers

The Best “Practical” Ed Tech Blogs

A Beginning List Of The Best Resources For Learning About Facebook

The Best Resources For Beginning To Learn What Twitter Is All About

The Web 2.0/Social Media Tools I Use Everyday & How I Use Them

As regular readers know, I have a fifty part (yes, it’s almost up to that number now!) series on “how to create online content easily and quickly.” You can certainly check-out all fifty parts. You might, however, want to start at two:

The Best Ways For Students (And Anyone Else!) To Create Online Content Easily, Quickly & Painlessly was the very first post in the series.

I also publish an annual list of the best applications. The most recent one is The Best Ways To Create Online Content Easily & Quickly — 2009.

A Glossary to DEMYSTIFY the jargon of the online world is another great post by Sue Waters.

Great Simple Tech Videos From Google

10 Ways to Get the Most Out of Technology is a very useful article from The New York Times.

David Pogue, the technology writer for The New York Times, has published a column that he calls “first installment of what should be the Big Book of Basic Technology Knowledge.” It contains lots of simple little tech “tricks.”

Here are two other pieces Pogue wrote: 25 More Tech Tips and Tricks and Tech Tips for the Basic Computer User.

Dump Your Printer to Escape the Madness is the headline of a New York Times column that contains a lot of simple and good ideas related to printer use. A lot of people more technologically proficient than me probably know all the info in the article, but I found it very helpful.

Crazy: 90 Percent of People Don’t Know How to Use CTRL+F is an article in the Atlantic about a simple way to search for a word in any document or webpage. I’m embarrassed to say that I was among that 90 percent.

Stephen Gillett shared this great photo of an 1880’s hotel sign, suggesting that tech explanations need to be “simple and easy.”

Agreed!

The Time-Tested Dos and Don’ts of Using Classroom Technology is from Education Week Teacher.

20 Essential Technology Terms for Teachers is from Fractus Learning.

David Pogue: 10 top time-saving tech tips is a great, short TEDx Talks video where the NY Times tech columnist offers several helpful tech tips. I’m embedding it below:

An EdTech Buzzword Bingo Card is from NPR.

Chalkup’s EdTech Glossary

This infographic doesn’t give the most objective explanation of these ed tech terms, but they can provide a quick intro to teachers new to the field.

Boundless EdTech Cheat Sheet

How to Use Social Media in Your Career is from The NY Times and is a great introduction to social media for anyone new to it.

Additional suggestions are welcome.

If you found this post useful, you might want to look at the 460 other “The Best…” lists and consider subscribing to this blog for free.