Great New Video on “Marshmallow” Test

Ellen Galinsky has created a great new video titled Focus And Self Control on the famous “marshmallow” test. You can read how I have used this in classroom at my previous post, “I Like This Lesson Because It Make Me Have a Longer Temper” (Part One).

There are two things that make this video stand-out (it’s a nice compliment to the one I’ve used in the past). One, it shows Dr. Walter Mischel, the originator of the experiment, actually saying what the long-term implications of the test might be. Since students read about him in the lesson, it will have a double impact.

Secondly, the video shows a fun “reverse Simon Sez” activity designed to help children develop self-control skills. It’s obviously designed for small children, but I’m sure even high school students would enjoy doing it for a few minutes after they see the video.

I’m adding this post to My Best Posts About Helping Students Develop Their Capacity For Self-Control.

1. Larry I watched the video. The reverse Simon Sez should have the kids NOT do what they are told when “Simon Sez” to do it, right? ;-)

If I say, “Simon Sez touch your toes,” the kids should just stand there.

If I say, “Touch your toes,” the kids should touch their head.

I’m so confused! Give me a marshmallow!

Seriously, as always, thanks for sharing the things you find.

Ric