The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2010

The websites on this list were not designed with education in mind, but which can easily be used for learning purposes — particularly, though not exclusively, for English language development. I only hope that creators of “educational” content can learn from the qualities that make these sites so engaging.

You might also be interested in:

The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2008

The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2009

Part Two Of The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2009

I’m not listing these sites in any order of preference.

Here are my picks for Part Two Of The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2009:

ONLINE VIDEO GAMES:

I’ve written about how I use online video games as language-development activities with my students.

Here are some of particularly good ones that came out recently:

The Ballard of Ketinetto 7 (Here’s the walkthrough)

What’s For Dinner? is an excellent game to reinforce food vocabulary and to have a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it’s timed (and you’re not given a lot of it), so it’s possible Beginner ELL’s might feel a bit frustrated.

Heart Of Tota is a new online “point and click” video game. English Language Learners can use it through reading its “walkthrough” and through reading the words describing the items they click on and “save.”

Monster Basement is another one of those online video games that, with its Walkthrough, can be used as an excellent language-learning experience for English Language Learners. This one is fairly scary, though my students will love it.

PHOTOS:

There are plenty of ways that teachers can use engaging photos with both English Language Learners and mainstream students. You can read about some of them at The Best Ways To Use Photos In Lessons. Here are few fun images you might want to consider using:

Who Designed This?! The Funniest Construction Fails Of All Time

World’s Weirdest Hotels

World’s Greatest Public Bathrooms

VIDEOS:

I describe how I use videos in my classes in The Best Popular Movies/TV Shows For ESL/EFL list. And, since some of these videos are on YouTube, you might want to read The Best Ways To Access Educational YouTube Videos At School.

Here are a few fun videos you might want to consider using in class:

Pandas, Otters and Cats: 15 Classic Viral Animal Videos

OK Go – This Too Shall Pass – Rube Goldberg Machine version

Top 10 Funny Cat Videos on YouTube

Craftsman Music Experiment – Craftsman Labs

Top 10 Funny Dog Videos on YouTube

10 Amazing Magic Trick Videos on YouTube

10 of the Greatest Magic Tricks Ever

Top 10 Greatest Modern Magic Tricks

The LXD: In the Internet age, dance evolves …

VIRAL MARKETING:

I’ve written how I use viral marketing tools with my English Language Learner students. Here are some new ones that students have enjoyed:

With Get Munked, you can design a chipmunk, record your voice, and have it converted so you sound like Alvin. Paste the link on a student/teacher blog or website.

Dunkin Donuts lets you create your very own virtual donut and share it with others. Students can describe what they made and explain why they made it that way.

You can compose lyrics to a song being played by a beaver that fiddles, and see them displayed as captions while the music plays. You can then post your creation on a student/teacher website or blog for all the world to see — lucky them….

etrade’s “Talking Baby” commercials during the Super Bowl are famous annual events. Now you and your students can create their own talking babies by either using the text-to-speech feature or recording their own voices. Their creations can be posted on a student/teacher website.

The Arby’s restaurant chain will let you take any image off the Internet and then make it talk by either recording a message on a computer microphone or using the text-to-speech feature.

BONUS!

I don’t know how educational this site can be, but it’s fun because you can turn your own handwriting into font to use on your computer.

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore the 500 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.