The Best Sites For Beginning iPhone Users Like Me

'iPhone 4 - Twitter'  (c) 2010, William Hook - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Yesterday, my wife gave everybody in the family an iPhone as early birthday presents. It was a gracious gesture, but the mood quickly turned ugly as the kids began argue who was going have teach me how use it. “But, Mom, it’ll take forever!” said one family member her mother.

After quickly reducing the number of people named in my will, I began search the Web for potential resources that could help me grasp how I could best use my new gadget.

I’m eager hear additional suggestions.

Here are my picks for The Best Sites For Beginning iPhone Users Like Me (I tried only include resources that seemed particularly recent and up–date):

iPhone For Dummies Cheat Sheet

20 Ways I Really Use My iPhone Teach Band Class ( is useful for any teacher)

The Daily Beast: 15 Best iPhone Apps

TIME: Top iPhone Applications

Lifehacker Pack for iPhone: Our List of the Best iPhone Apps

PC World: The 18 Best iPhone Apps

Extreme Tech: The 30 Best Free iPhone Apps 2010

The “App Hall Of Fame” features monthly listings of iPhone applications thought worthy of “hall of fame” status.

Instagram is a new iPhone app that the blog Read Write Web raved about — see Instagram Has Made Me an iPhone Addict. NOTE: Instagram just made many changes. You can read about them at Instagram Launches Its Biggest Overhaul Yet (But Still No Android App).

Top 10 Must-Have Apps for the iPhone, and Some Runners-Up is an article in the New York Times.

David Pogue from The New York Times has published his “10 Favorite iPhone Apps.” He also includes several “runners-up.”

Mashable has posted a useful list titled “10 Unique iPhone Photography Accessories.”

The Top 10 Apps Make Your Holiday Travel Much Safer is a nice list from EDUdemic.

Read Write Web has a post highlighting a number of sites where you can get reviews and recommendations for mobile phone apps, including ones for the iPhone. Two of the betters ones seem be appolicious and appsfire.

10 Best Free iPhone Apps For Ebook Reading is a useful list explore further.

I’ve learned about two interesting iPhone apps that I’m adding list:

SoundCloud has created one that makes it super-easy record audio and upload it your social networks. You can read more about it at TechCrunch.

How Take Better Pictures with Your Smartphone’s Camera comes from Lifehacker.

My favorite iPhone photography apps comes from the writer of the Los Angeles Times blog.

12 Smartphone Apps Help With Last-Minute Holiday Shopping comes from The Atlantic.

A Veteran Tech Reporter’s Favorite Apps is a useful article by NY Times journalist John Markoff about the apps he has his iPhone.

The Best Media Streaming Apps for Your iPhone from Lifehacker

The Best Shopping Apps for iPhone, also from Lifehacker

The Best iPhone Apps for Your Car from Lifehacker

The Top 40 iPhone Apps of 2010 is a very useful post from TechCrunch

Mashable has published The Ultimate iPhone Guide: 60+ Essential Resources. Out of that massive list, here are the resources I’m adding list:

Free Books is an app with 24,000 free classic.

Open Culture has an educational audio and video collection.

10 Useful iPhone Shortcuts, Tips and Tricks

7 Useful iPhone Camera Tips and Tricks

HOW : Give Your iPhone a Spring Clean

Just got an iPhone? The best apps, accessories, and tips comes from Engadget

Skype’s New App Brings Video Chat The iPhone, iPad And iPod Touch comes from TechCrunch.

How Use Dropbox with an iPhone or iPod Touch

Camera+ looks like a very nice app. I especially like its zoom feature.

PicPlz is another app that has potential.

50 Best iPhone Apps 2011 comes from TIME Magazine.

Word Lens is an amazing new iPhone application that will translate written words in an image. Right now it just does English/Spanish, but the developer is planning expand its number of languages. You can read more about it at

1. Welcome to mobile learning, Larry. Too bad your wife didn’t go for an Android phone…-)

2. Wow! Great list, thank you! I waited 4 years and just got the iPhone for Verizon, definitely worth the wait!!!

The 2 links that I like best are:

20 Ways I Really Use My iPhone To Teach Band Class (this is useful for any teacher)= Really is helpful for how to use some of the features that come on the phone and a few to purchase.

iPhone for Dummies Cheat Sheet= A good and simple list of functions and how-to’s (a life saver for us novices!!)

Thanks again for a great list and good luck with your new gadget!! :)

3. Pingback: iPhone 4S Resources | Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day…

4. Pingback: HD_Links: Smartphones | Networked Teaching & Learning