I periodically post “most popular” lists of websites (and books) that I think educators might find useful. Of course, there are a number of ways to gauge “popularity.” I just view these lists as opportunities to check-out some new sites, and find it interesting to see which ones might be particularly “popular.”

I’ve made quite a few posts that fit into this category, and thought I’d highlight which ones I thought were the best and most useful for educators.

You might also be interested in last year’s edition:

The Best Places To Find The Most Popular (& Useful) Resources For Educators –2009

Here are my choices for The Best Places To Find The Most Popular (& Useful) Resources For Educators — 2010 (not listed in order of preference):

Popular Children’s Books: I originally had a nifty infographic here, but it’s no longer available. You can find the same info, though, here.

Popular Tweets: Favorious ranks Twitter’s most popular tweets based on how many times they have been “favorited.”

Popular Videos: Zocial TV shows videos, divided into categories, that are most popular on Twitter or Facebook at any given time.

Popular Stumbleupon Sites: if you want to see the top five StumbleUpon sites each week, you can read about them in The Independent.

Most Visited Sites On The Web: Here’s a list of “The 1000 most-visited sites on the web.” Number one is Facebook and number two is Yahoo. I can’t find Google anywhere on the list, though, and that seems pretty bizarre…

Most Shared Content On Facebook: “Its Trending” lists the most shared content on Facebook.

Most Shared & Saved Posts On Google Reader: Google launched Google Reader Play this year. As TechCrunch describes it:

It is a more visual way to browse through the most popular items being saved and shared on Google Reader. When you launch it, you are presented with a large photo, video, or text excerpt on the main part of the screen, and can flip through by clicking on arrows or selecting an item from the filmstrip at the bottom of the screen.

Most Popular Flickr Photos: Here’s a link where you can see a constantly changing slideshow of the most popular Flickr photos over the last seven days.

Most Highlighted Book Passages: Amazon has a feature called “Most Highlighted Passages Of All Time.” Here’s how Amazon describes it:

The Amazon Kindle, Kindle for iPhone and Kindle for iPad each provide a very simple mechanism for adding highlights. Every month, Kindle customers highlight millions of book passages that are meaningful to them. We combine the highlights of all Kindle customers and identify the passages with the most highlights. The resulting Popular Highlights help readers to focus on passages that are meaningful to the greatest number of people. We show only passages where the highlights of at least three distinct customers overlap, and we do not show which customers made those highlights.

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore the 500 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.