The Best Posts & Articles About Providing Students With Choices

'Choices' photo (c) 2009, Justin See (coming back) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

I’m a big advocate of creating opportunities for students to choose in the classroom — ways that particular assignments are done, discussing with them the best places for them to sit, even due dates.

The results of some new studies on this topic have just been released and, since I’ve previously written about this idea, I thought it might be useful for readers and for me to bring this information together in sort of a mini “The Best..” list. This will be a short one, but will probably be growing.

Education Week has just published an article on the new studies headlined “Giving Students a Say May Spur Engagement and Achievement.” In the article, one of the researcher says:

“When students were given choices, they reported feeling more interested in their homework, felt more confident about their homework and they scored higher on their unit tests.”

Here are two previous posts I’ve written about the importance of providing students with choices:

“How Taking an Active Role in Learning Enhances Memory”

“The Art Of Choosing”

Choice Equals Power: How to Motivate Students to Learn is article in MindShift about a an online conversation I led.

Feel free to make other suggestions in the comments section.

You might also want to explore the nearly 600 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. I like to use choice boards (also called tic tac toe boards, think tac toe, choice menus) to easily incorporate some choice into the classroom. It’s a good place to start, too, for teachers that have difficulty relinquishing control. :) I wrote about them on my own blog at http://theexcitedneuron.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/what-sort-of-intelligence-do-you-have/