The Best Resources For Learning About Handwriting & Learning

There have been a number of studies recently exploring the role of handwriting and learning. In particular, some of them have identified handwriting’s important role in learning a new language.

I thought readers might find it useful if I brought together some of these resources. Feel free to offer additional suggestions, or just your own commentary.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources For Learning About Handwriting & Learning:

Handwriting & Learning A Second Language is a post I wrote last year about a Wall Street Journal article, which I link to in the post.

Better Learning Through Handwriting is an article that appeared in Science Daily earlier this month which also specifically relates to learning a new language.

Why You Learn More Effectively by Writing Than Typing was published by Lifehacker this weekend, and provides a good overview of recent research on the topic.

Is Teacher Handwriting Important? is another post I wrote last year that might be of interest.

The many health perks of good handwriting is an article that discusses several studies.

Why Does Writing Make Us Smarter? is a useful summary of research. Thanks to Kevin Washburn for the tip.

Why Schools Should Keep Teaching Handwriting, Even If Typing Is More Useful reviews some new research.

Still the Write Stuff: Why We Must Continue Teaching Handwriting provides an overview of research on the topic.

The Pen Is Mightier Than The Phone: A Case For Writing Things Out is from Fast Company.

Summit to Make a Case for Teaching Handwriting is from Education Week.

Does Handwriting Matter in a Digital World? is also from Ed Week.

Additional suggestions are welcome.

You might also want to explore the over 600 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Pingback: Learning in Community | View from the Nest

2. Pingback: Technology Tools to Support Learning Handwriting « ICT for Teaching & Learning in Falkirk Primary Schools