The Best “World Press Photo” Winners

World Press Photo is a respected international foundation that is well known for their “World Press Photos of the Year.”

They have just named the winners of the awards for this year. You can see all of their winners from previous years at their archive website.

However, each year a news organization seems to display them in a much more attractive slideshow.

Winners of the 2014 World Press Photo Multimedia Contest have just been announced. It’s a somewhat different contest, but I’m still adding it here.

2014 World Press Photo Awards Announced is from TIME.

2013 World Press Photo Awards Announced is from TIME.

Every World Press Photo Winner From 1955-2011 is from BuzzFeed.

2012 World Press Photo Contest Winners is from The Boston Globe.

World Press Photo Winners 2012

World Press Photo Awards Announced 2012 is from TIME.

The Atlantic has a nice photo display for the 2011 winners.

World Press Photo: winners comes from The Big Picture.

2010′s winners can be found atthis News of Australia slideshow.

You can see all of 2009′s winners in a slideshow put together by the Sydney Morning Herald.

World Press Photo Award 2008 comes from The Guardian.

World Press Photo 2007 is a slideshow from TIME Magazine

World Press Photo Awards for 2006 is from The Digital Journalist.

World Press Photo Awards 2005 is from CBS News.

In pictures: World press photo award 2004 is from the BBC.

You might also want to explore the over 600 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Some really quite moving if not harrowing images. I agree it’s better to use another site to view the images, the World Press Photo site is a little tricky to use.

2. This collections of poignant photographs can serve as a quick tour of the human condition… version 2011.

As powerful as the images are on the web, they are often even more beautiful and haunting in person. I’ve seen World Press Photography winners at the Annenberg Photography Center and at the USC Annenberg School of Journalism. Viewers filled both locations, and I almost felt dizzy and then numb switching from one evocative photograph and mood to the next. While it can be a bewildering experience, I also strong recommend it – especially for teachers!

3. Beautiful pictures! I am a secondary reading specialist. One way I have found to help students make connections to what they are reading is to use the text features which include pictures. I occasionally do focus lessons on observing pictures to raise questions, predictions, and inference abilities. Any one of these shots could be used for analysis with higher level thinking.