'Ocea on PAINT' photo (c) 2008, lulugal0870 - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

For the past several years, until it was recently curtailed because of budget issues, our school worked with parents to sponsor a successful effort providing home computers and internet access to immigrant families. They, in turn, would use the technology to improve their English skills. I thought I’d bring together posts about that project, and additional links to articles about somewhat similar efforts around the country.

Here’s a Sacramento Bee story about it: 11-4-07 Sacbee “Words to Live By”

I’m sure there are programs I don’t know about so, if you know of others, please leave information in the comments section of this post.

You might also be interested in two other “The Best…” lists that are related to this topic:

The Best Sites That Students Can Use Independently And Let Teachers Check On Progress, which shares some sites we’ve had students in the program use at home.

The Best Places To Find Research On Technology & Language Teaching/Learning, which shares a few of the same links on this list, and also additional ones.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources For Learning About Schools Providing Home Computers & Internet Access To Students:

I’ll start off by sharing links to a few articles I’ve written about the project we had at our school:

Online Learning Leverages Literacy to ELL Families

Family Literacy Project Update

Newest Assessment Results From Family Literacy Project

Latest Assessment Results From Family Literacy Project

Latest Results Of Our Home Computer Project

Even More Success with English Language Learning

Family Literacy, Computers, and ESL

Here are other articles and posts:

T.H.E. Journal has just published an article about a group called Computers For Youth.

$9 Million Program Gives Students Wireless Internet Access At Home, Not Just At School is about a new FCC program.

“Computers at Home: Educational Hope vs. Teenage Reality”

My “Take” On Recent Study Saying Home Computer Usage Can Lead To Lower Test Scores

The UK has, or had, a major effort called the Home Access Initiative. One site says it’s closed now, but this article indicates it’s still going on, but at a reduced level. It would be great if any UK readers could provide accurate information in the comments section.

Of course, this post would not be complete without some links to the One Laptop Per Child program. You can visit their official website, along with a positive article about it from The Guardian. The Voice of America has just run a story critical of the program, and here’s a similarly critical post. I’d love to hear comments from readers on this, too.

Computer Equity Efforts in Chicago is from Learning First. It describes an effort to provide low-cost computers and internet service to families.

Comcast Begins Program To Offer Inexpensive Internet Access & Computers To Low-Income Families

The Atlantic has published a good summary of initiatives across the United States that are designed to provide Internet access to low income families.

The Los Angeles Times writes about a new program that includes a mobile computer lab and center designed to help Latinos gain more access, and become more familiar with, the Web.
The organization sponsoring the effort, Club Digital, offers some nice and simple video computer tutorials on their site. Even better, you can choose English or Spanish versions of them.

Most Big Cable Companies Agree To Provide Low-Cost Internet To Low-Income Students

More Info On FCC’s Plan To Get Internet & Computers To Student Homes

My Thoughts On Today’s NY Times Article About The “Digital Divide”

“Mixed Response to Comcast in Expanding Net Access”

New Effort To Get Internet & Computers Into Hands Of Low-Income People

Another Study On Schools Providing Students Home Computers Finds The Obvious Results

Using Tech to Teach English is the title of a new guest post I’ve written over at the International Reading Association’s blog, Engage.

Comcast Internet Essentials for low-income families doesn’t include wi-fi is from The Hechinger Report.

Here’s a listing of various programs designed to provide low-cost Internet service.

The Comcast-Khan Academy Partnership Could Be Trouble is from Slate.

Comcast Indefinitely Extends Low-Cost Broadband for Poor Families is from The New York Times.

I’ve written a fair amount about Internet Essentials here. It’s Concast’s program to provide online access to low-income students. I have mentioned some skepticism about the program, but I was amazed about how much more skeptical we all should be of it. Read about it at The Washington Post, Why Comcast’s $10 a month Internet isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and at Quartz, Comcast promised poor Americans cheap internet, but most of them didn’t get it.

Two New & Intriguing Efforts To Provide Home Internet Access To Students

Time For Comcast To Step-Up & Provide “Net Access For Poor”

Al Jazeera Article On Providing Students With Home Internet Access

What Happens When Kids Don’t Have Internet at Home? is from The Atlantic.

Wireless Kiosks Keep School District’s One-to-One Initiative Running After Hours is from Ed Tech Magazine.

School Buses add WiFi to Bring Internet to Homes of Poor Students is from Mind Shift.

Power Up! / Helping to Close the Digital Divide is by Doug Johnson.

An ambitious idea to connect students to the Internet at home, delayed by federal indecision is from The Hechinger Report.

District Extends Wi-Fi to Students in Public Housing is from Education Week.

Home Internet Access for Poor, Rural Students Aim of New Federal Bill is from Ed Week.

President Announces “New” Program To Connect Low-Income Families To Internet – I’m Skeptical

‘Homework Gap’ for Hispanics Targeted in New Broadband-Awareness Initiative is from Ed Week.

Lack Of Home Internet A Challenge For Students is from Ed Week.

Statistic Of The Day: Kids Without Internet & What Can Be Done About It

How Limited Internet Access Can Subtract From Kids’ Education is from NPR.

More Latinos Accessing Internet Through Phone, But No Change For Broadband

SCHOOLS TAP SECRET SPECTRUM TO BEAM FREE INTERNET TO STUDENTS is from Wired.

Two Programs Providing Internet Access to Low-income Homes is from Richard Byrne.

Many low-income families get on the Internet with smartphones or tablets. That matters. Here’s why is from The Hechinger Report.

How to Help High Schoolers Without Home Internet Access is from U.S. News.

TechCrunch writes about an effort to provide free wi-fi to residents of a Boston affordable housing development.

Natomas Unified School District and Comcast to provide free Wi-Fi to low-income families is from The Sacramento Bee.

Why San Jose Kids Do Homework in Parking Lots is from The NY Times.

The FCC Just Made It Tougher for Schools to Address the ‘Homework Gap’, Ed-Tech Leaders Say is from Ed Week.

FCC to consider allowing families without WiFi to apply for E-Rate is from Education Dive. FCC considers expanding E-Rate program to student homes is from EdScoop.

Comcast’s $10 internet plan opens up to all low-income and disabled Americans is from TechCrunch.

Buffalo schools to give thousands of homes free Wi-Fi to close digital divide is from The Buffalo News.

New Bill Aims To Expand Internet Access To Close The ‘Homework Gap’ is from NPR.

Digital Divide: What It’s Like to Be a Student Without Internet at Home is from Teen Vogue.

Secure Mobile Wi-Fi Extends Learning Beyond the Classroom is from Ed Tech Magazine.

CALIFORNIA ANNOUNCES DEAL TO PROVIDE FREE INTERNET TO LOW-INCOME FAMILIES

INTERNET COMPANIES OFFER FREE ACCESS TO STUDENTS – I GUESS IT’S BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

STATISTIC OF THE DAY: NO SURPRISE, BUT LOTS OF OUR STUDENTS DON’T HAVE INTERNET ACCESS

Closing the Digital Divide: Inside Cleveland’s Plan to Treat Broadband Like a Public Utility Service — and to Pay for Every Student to Get Online is from The 74.

The stimulus bill includes a “historic” provision to expand broadband internet access is from Vox.

PRESIDENT BIDEN ANNOUNCES FREE & REDUCED COST INTERNET FOR LOW-INCOME FAMILIES & INDIVIDUALS – I HOPE IT ACTUALLY WORKS

Feedback is welcome.