The Best Posts & Articles About The Importance Of Teacher (& Student) Working Conditions

'Teacher In Classroom' photo (c) 2006, www.audio-luci-store.it - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Check out my three-part series in Education Week Teacher: Reducing Attrition In Urban Schools ‘By Listening To Our Teachers’

Much is written, especially by “school reformers” about the importance of merit pay and how much more money will motivate us all to work harder and better. I’m all for a fair and just wage, but working conditions are a key element of teacher retention and a quality education for students.

Here are my choices for The Best Posts & Articles About The Importance Of Teacher (& Student) Working Conditions:

I’ve got to start off with a great xtranormal video created by Dan Brown called “Keeping Teachers Around.”

I worked with a group of talented inner-city teachers from throughout the United States last year through the Center For Teaching Quality. We created a pretty thorough report, “Transforming School Conditions: Building Bridges to the Education System That Students And Teachers Deserve.” You can read my summary of the report in The Washington Post, as well as finding a link to the entire study.

Stephen Lazar has written an important three-part series on issue:

Turnover – The Biggest Problem We Face: Part 1

Part Two

Part Three

U.S. vs highest-achieving nations in education by Linda Darling-Hammond appeared in the Washington Post earlier , and makes several good points about issue.

Accountable for What? at Failing Schools

Gen Y Teachers and the Future of the Profession by Barnett Berry

The beatings will continue until teacher morale improves appeared in the Christian Science Monitor and is by Walt Gardner.

The High Cost of Low Teacher Salaries is by David Eggers and Nínive Clements Calegari and appeared in The New York Times.

More Time for Teachers Means Better Time for Students is by Barnett Berry.

Learning From Leadership: Investigating the Links to Improved Student Learning is from The Wallace Foundation.

What teachers need and reformers ignore: time to collaborate is an important column by Linda Darling-Hammond that appeared in The Washington Post

Why collaboration is vital to creating effective schools is from The Washington Post.

Dallas Shows That Teacher Working Conditions Matter is by Paul Bruno.

Quote Of The Day: “The Stress Rolls Downhill”

Teacher Turnover Negatively Impacts Student Achievement in Math and English is from The Journal.

Quote Of The Day: “Why Do Teachers Quit?”

Lesson Study is an excellent post at Class Teaching about that well-known form of professional development in Japan.

Teacher Turnover Affects All Students’ Achievement, Study Indicates is from Education Week.

Can’t Wait for Monday is by Rafe Esquith.

Getting Beyond the Blame Game is by James Harvey.

An Open Letter on Teacher Morale is by Dina Strasser.

Five Reasons Teacher Turnover Is on the Rise is from TakePart.

Teacher autonomy and teaching quality: Putting more think into the think tank is by Barnett Berry.

Paul Bruno has written an excellent follow-up to the program we did on BAM! Radio about teacher attrition in high-poverty urban schools.

More Time for Teachers, or for Students? Utah Proposal Raises Debate comes from Ed Week.

Can Professional Environments in Schools Promote Teacher Development? Explaining Heterogeneity in Returns to Teaching Experience is a new Harvard report showing how important working conditions are to teacher effectiveness.

Are Working Conditions Related To Teacher Effectiveness? is another recent study.

Report: As Teacher Demographics Change, Districts Must Prioritize Retention is from Education Week.

Additional suggestions are welcome. I’m sure there are some great articles out there that I just don’t know about.

If you found post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to blog for free.

You might also want to explore the over 600 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.