Today’s Collection Of Useful School Reform Posts & Articles

I wrote this recently, and it seems relevant to share here:

…Something else that doesn’t make sense is the whole move to merit pay. It won’t work. As Daniel Pink says in this RSA Animate – Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us, about cash incentives:

“As long as the task involved only mechanical skill, bonuses worked as would be expected, the higher the pay, the better the performance… But once the task called for even rudimentary cognitive skill, a larger reward led to poorer performance.”

Don’t get me wrong, I think that teachers deserve good pay, (and they also, especially in the West, deserve greater appreciation), but merit pay is not one of the great guiding changes we need to see. Even the weakest of teachers I have met have had a desire to be better. The best teachers are always improving and humble about how much more they have to learn. They want to be paid fairly and appropriately, but what drives them is opportunities to be better… opportunities that they need to seek out because they are not embedded in most teachers’ typical schedules.

…The rest of the post is about embedding these things into a teacher’s schedule:
    1. Time- Pro-D, preparation, planning & play
    2. Co-teaching & collaboration opportunities
    3. Models & Mentorship

Cheers!