The Best Posts About The Power Of Light Touches In The Classroom

I’ve written several times about the power of touch in the classroom, and they’ve all received a lot of feedback.

I’ve just read some additional studies that say a light touch on the upper arm can increase “compliance” substantially, and two light touches can increase it even more. In addition, a touch can result in a higher positive response rate to a request for help.

I thought readers might be interested in seeing my earlier posts on the topic, along with multiple comments left by others on them:

The (Ironic) Power Of Touch

The Power of “Touch” In The Classroom

“Sense of Touch Colors Our View of the World”

Students’ Personal Space

Why is a touch on the arm so persuasive?

The power of a light touch on the arm

Feedback on this topic are welcome!

If you found this post useful, you might want to look at 660 previous “The Best…” lists and also consider subscribing to this blog for free.

1. Thanks for writing about the topic of “touch” in the classroom. As a first year teacher, I am always a bit weary about having any type of contact whatsoever with my students. However, by nature I want to celebrate a student’s success by a casual high-five, or a light pat on the shoulder to applaud their good work. I have also used a light pat on the shoulder to redirect a student’s attention to the focus at hand, and have generally found good results from this form of touch. However, I work with newcomer English Language Leaners, and I am always trying to be aware and respectful of their cultural norms and pysical boundaries. What may be an accepted practice in our culture may be viewed as inappropriate or uncomforable for others. Always trying to find that balance.

2. This is probably true for most students but I can remember distinctly 2 instances where I touched a kid on the shoulder when talking to them and they jerked away. One ever yelled “Don’t Touch Me!” In both cases I was trying to discuss an issue they were having but wasn’t admonishing them or anything. I can only imagine that they felt that I was and took my touch as trying to control them or something. It really took me aback after the student yelled and I never did it again.