Last month, I wrote a post that led to this “The Best…” list. Let me start off this piece with an excerpt from it:

Sometimes, after a student who has been having behavioral challenges in class for awhile instead has a good day, I’ll ask him/her how they feel are help them contrast that with how they have felt after more difficult ones (I talk more extensively about this in my book). More often than not, this leads to a fruitful conversation about what they did differently.

But not always.

Some students don’t see, or are unable to acknowledge, the difference in their behavior.

In that post, I shared the outline of a lesson I was going to try using research that shows we tend to be “positively biased” (they also call it “self-enhancement”) when we think and describe our own behavior (who among us have never heard the infamous student response “I’m not doing anything!”?)

Since that time, I’ve found some additional research that I’m going to include in the lesson when I do it again next year (it do go well the first time around), and thought it would be useful to put them together in a short “The Best…” list.

Here are The Best Resources For Helping Students See They Might Not Always Be The Best Judges Of Their Behavior:

First off, of course, my original post with the lesson plan, Study Says Self-Reporting On Our Behavior Tends To Be “Positively Biased” – How I’ll Use This In The Classroom.

I subsequently wrote about another study in “How accurate are most people’s self-assessments?”

Who Knows You Best? Not You, Say Psychologists is new report from Science Daily. Here’s an excerpt:

….creativity, intelligence, or rudeness is often best perceived by others. That’s not just because they manifest themselves publicly, but also because they carry a value judgment — something that tends to affect self-judgment.

Is the human brain designed to be honest about itself? summarizes recent research that suggests we might not be good at providing accurate self-evaluations of ourselves.

How To See Yourself Through Others’ Eyes is a report on a new study that would take too long to explain here, but I think it’s very interesting.

Why we’re better at predicting other people’s behaviour than our own

More Evidence of Self-Enhancement Bias: New Study of Tailgating and Flawed Self-Evaluations: David Dunning’s Fascinating Work are both from Bob Sutton, and report on research questioning if we are the best judges of our work.

Feedback is welcome.

You might also want to explore the over 675 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.