The Best Resources For Adapting Your Textbook So It Doesn’t Bore Students To Death

Teachers are often required to use specific textbooks in many subjects. And many of these textbooks are horrible. I thought readers might find a list of resources where they could find ideas on adapting their textbooks in ways to make them more engaging. Most — though not all — of these posts relate to language-teaching, but many of the ideas they share can be used in other subjects.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources For Adapting Your Textbook So It Doesn’t Bore Students To Death:

The number one place to start is at the ELT Chat blog, which discussed the topic this past week. You definitely want to read: Summary – How to avoid death by coursebook: suggestions and advice for teachers stuck in a very regimented situation.

Rewriting History, and Nine Other Ways to Adapt Textbooks is by Paula Kluth.

To innovate within concrete, start with the cracks is by Jason Renshaw.

Animating Your Coursebook is a slideshow by Marisa Constantinides that I’ve posted about in the past.

Adapting The Textbook is slideshow by David Deubelbeiss.

The Role of Textbooks In A Language Program is by Jack Richards.

Nik Peachey has written “36 Tools for Digitising your ELT Course Book.”

Beating the Humdrum is from Language Moments, and has some excellent ideas on how to “liven-up” a less than interesting textbook.

Teaching ELLs to Navigate Textbooks Effectively
is from Colorin Colorado. It doesn’t really fit on this list, but this is the best place I have to put it for now.

20 Ways to Bring Your Textbook to Life! is by Shelly Terrell.

10 ways to use course books and encourage learner autonomy is from Online TEFL Training.

Lizzie Pinard – Course books in the language classroom: friend or foe? is from The British Council.

2 simple ideas for adapting your course book is from Lizzie Pinard.

Additional suggestions are always welcome.

You might also want to explore the over 670 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Excellent list! I love posts like this that share resources and encourage teachers to move beyond textbooks. Thanks for sharing!

2. Hi Larry

I published this document on Scribd. It is the notes and links from my presentation at IATEFL 2011

36 Tools for Digitising your ELT Course Book

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53030128/36-Tools-for-Digitising-your-ELT-Course-Book

It’s also available on Issus at:
    36 Tools for Digitising Your ELT Course Book

http://issuu.com/nikpeachey/docs/53030128-36-tools-for-digitising-your-elt-course-b

I hope it is also of some use here.

Best

Nik Peachey