The Best Resources On Students Using Gestures & Physical Movement To Help With Learning

''So I says to him, 'THIS is how you do a karate chop'!'' photo (c) 2007, Aislinn Ritchie - license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

I’m a big fan of encouraging students to accompany learning with gestures and physical movement, particularly, though not exclusively, with English Language Learners.

I thought I’d begin a short “The Best…” list on the topic, and ask readers to contribute additions.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources On Students Using Gestures & Physical Movement To Help With Learning:

Total Physical Response (TPR) is a mainstay of many ESL/EFL instructors. Teacher Joe has a nice short description of it, and here’s a much more TPR guide from the English Language and Literacy Center.

Here’s a study on how gestures improve memory.

What’s a quick and easy way to improve learning? is about a similar study.

Brief training with co-speech gesture lends a hand to word learning in a foreign language is yet another study.

I’ve previously written a post titled Using Gestures In Teaching & Learning.

The Secret Code Of Learning: Our body language can reveal more about what we know than our verbal language is by Annie Murphy Paul at TIME and provides a good overview of research on the topic.

Learning a language may come down to gestures is a Washington Post report on a new study. Thanks to The Center for Applied Second Language Studies for the tip.

Study: Gestures help language learning is another report on the same study.

High Fluid Intelligence, Gestures, and Simulation is from the Eide Neurolearning blog. It reports on recent research on gestures and learning.

To Learn A New Language, You’ve Got to Move More Than Your Mouth! is from Education Week.

A study found that “requiring children to gesture while learning the new concept helped them retain the knowledge they had gained during instruction.”

Teachers’ gestures boost math learning is from Eureka Alert.

Surprising Study — NOT: People Learn A Second Language Better By Physically Simulating Words

This is obviously not a complete list, and I hope readers can suggest more resources.

You might also want to explore the nearly 700 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. HI Larry,

I have been using a program called AIM (Accelerative Integrated Method) for teaching French for 10 years now. We use gestures to teach vocabulary and it’s extremely effective. The methodology is extremely popular in Canada, where it was developed. Check it out! http://www.aimlanguagelearning.com

Syl