So, You Want To Write A Book? Here’s The Best Advice…

'Serious Novels' photo (c) 2009, Playing Futures:  Applied Nomadology - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I’ve written three (actually, five now) books (my latest one is Helping Students Motivate Themselves), and have two more on the way. I’ll probably eventually write a post sharing my own advice to educators (and others) who might like to write a book but, for now and probably for the foreseeable future, I don’t think you’re find any better advice than what you’ll read in the posts and articles I share in this “The Best…” list.

You might also be interested in The Best Writing Advice From Famous Authors.

However, I’d still love to hear suggestions of additional resources.

Here are my choices for The Best Advice If You Want To Write A Book:

Unleashing Your Inner Author…and Getting Published! is a good post by Bill Ferriter that offers advice to teachers who might want to write a book. It’s a must-read if you’ve ever thought about it…

Well-known teacher and author Alan Sitomer is writing a series on this topic right now, and you can see them here.

I think The Case For Self Publishing by Neal Pollack, which recently appeared in The New York Times, offers some valuable thoughts.

Ego Checks You May Encounter As A Blogger-Turned-Book-Writer is funny and has wisdom. It’s from The Awl.

Query Killers is another helpful piece.

Here’s a fun video on editing/revision. Thanks to LeeAnn Moore for the tip.

Chris Brogan is in the midst of writing a series of posts offering book-writing advice. I think his pieces on finding time and discipline are very good, while I’m less enthusiastic about what he wrote under Structure. Writing A Book — Marketing and Promotion is another post in his series that is helpful. Writing a Book — Making Money is yet another post in his series.
Writing A Book — Structure
is Chris Brogan’s latest post.

How to Choose the Best Method for Publishing Your Book is from The Book Designer.

Q&A: Publishing Your Own E-Book is from The New York Times.

How To Be An E-book Author and Publisher In 4 Easy Steps is from Media Tapper.

5 Things to Consider Before Self-Publishing Your Book is from Mashable.

Here’s an interview with Bill Ferriter that appeared in Middleweb. The whole piece is worth reading, but I especially like his advice to teachers on writing a book that’s near the end.

The Joys and Hazards of Self-Publishing on the Web is from The New York Times.

“A Right Fit”: Navigating the World of Literary Agents provides helpful information to anyone wanting to write a piece of fiction.

Source: changemakrs.com via Larry

Writer’s block and the drip is by Seth Godin.

Seth Godin has a great graph on the feelings one goes through when writing a book.

Applying to write for ELT publishers links is a useful post by Alex Case.

Everything you need to know about ebook distribution is from Vook.

5 Things Beginners Need to Know About E-Book Publishing is by Jane Friedman.

How To Self-Publish A Bestseller: Publishing 3.0 is from TechCrunch.

10 Visual Steps To Self-Publishing Your Book On Amazon is from Read Write Web.

Five Things Busy Teachers Need to Know about Writing a Book is by Bill Ferriter.

Self-publishing in ELT (Part 1) and How to become a published ELT writer in the digital era – 10 insiders’ tips are both from ELT Jam.

The ELT Teacher To Writer site might be worth checking-out if you have an interesting in writing materials for English Language Learners.

If You Want To Write A Book, Or If You Are Teaching Writing, Then “Writer’s Success Academy” Is A Must-See Site

If you have additional suggestions of posts/articles, or if you’ve had books published and have advice to share, please leave them in the comments section.

You might also want to explore the 700 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Larry,

Thanks for the great post. Just subscribed to yr blog. Plan to e-publish my novel, Edge of a Dream this fall.

Best, Lee

2. Pingback: Infolink Bookmarks (weekly) « School libraries in South Africa

3. I wrote The (almost) Complete DIY Guide to eBook Publishing after searching around the Internet for 7 mos.

I posted the sections on my blog here – http://alchemyofscrawl.blogspot.com/2011/05/almost-diy-guide-to-ebook-publishing_31.html

Feel free to use it/share it/pass it around. :-)

4. Like the blog title. It goes well with my free e-book ‘So you’ve written a book?’ which deals with what to do once you have something to publish.

5. Pingback: Bathtub reading for a Labor Day « Millard Fillmore's Bathtub