This past year, our district decided to let teachers have access to YouTube, and that’s been very helpful. I talk about some ways I use it at The Best — And Easiest — Ways To Use YouTube If, Like Us, Only Teachers Have Access To It.

Our school year just ended, but it’s never too early to start getting ready for the next one 🙂 . So I thought I’d explore additional YouTube Channels that are specifically designed for English Language Learners and share what I’ve found. I’ve only included ones that I though students would find engaging, and that did not include ones showing teachers just giving lessons.

In addition to the channels listed here, of course, the best kind of YouTube Channel is one made-cup of all student-created videos. I’m going to explore giving that a try this coming year.

I’m certainly open to hearing other people’s suggestions, so feel free to add them in the comments section of this post.

Here are my choices for The Best YouTube Channels For Learning English:

Real English

BBC Learning English

Voice Of America Learning English

Pod English

ESL Joan

Learn British Kids is the British Council’s YouTube Channel.

These next two sites aren’t exactly YouTube Channels, but they’re good video collections:

EFL Classroom 2.0 Videos

ESL Video

English Central is not a YouTube channel, but its huge selection of videos and its interactivity leads me to include it on this “The Best…” list and on many others.

Grockit Answers lets you pick any video from YouTube and create a series of questions about it. The great feature is that you can set the time on the video for each question to alert the viewer when the answer will appear. It’s an excellent scaffold for Beginning English Language Learners (though I’d say it’s probably too much of one for many other students). ESL Video is still clearly the overall best video quiz creation site for ELL’s. Grockit Answers, though, is also easy to use, and it’s timing annotation could be very helpful to Beginners. Thanks to TechCrunch for the tip. You can read more about it there, and see a sample video here.

Gogo’s Adventure with English is not quite a “channel,” but I’m still including it here.

Fluency MC has great songs.

EnglishClass101.com looks like a helpful YouTube channel for English Language Learners. I especially like its “Learn American Holidays” playlist. Here’s an example:

Tube Wizard is an intriguing site that automatically creates multiple listening quizzes from subtitled YouTube videos. I don’t think it will be useful in many U.S. public schools because Web content filters would block many of the videos, but it could be very helpful for home practice and in adult schools.  You might also want to read a post by Olya Sergeeva which explains the site in more detail.

You might also want to explore the over 600 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.