The Best Resources On The “Summer Slide”

'Norfolk Lavender - Children's Play Area - Slide' photo (c) 2011, Elliott Brown - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

We’re all familiar with the “summer slide” — the academic losses that many young people, especially in low-income communities, experience during the time they’re out of school. This “slide” is being exacerbated by budget cuts — a few years ago our school would have over one thousand students in summer school, most because they wanted to advance faster and because they didn’t have anything else to do. Now, we only offer less than a handful of classes.

I’ve previously explained that I encourage students to read during the summer by sharing research on the effect of the summer slide, and arranging for their next year’s teacher to give them extra credit for reading, as well as letting students check-out books from my classroom library.

However, I haven’t really done a thorough lesson on the summer slide with them, as I’ve done in many other “life skills” topics I talk about in my book. Next year, though, will be different, and I’ll be preparing a complete lesson which I’ll share in this blog.

For now, though, I thought readers might find it useful for me to share some of the research sources on summer reading loss that I’ll be using in my still-to-be-prepared lesson. Feel free to offer additional suggestions.

Here they are:

Free books block ‘summer slide’ in low-income students from USA Today

Fun, sun and good books: UT experts say summer reading keeps skills strong

Summer Must-Read for Kids? Any Book from The New York Times

Primer on Summer Learning Loss from Reading Is Fundamental

‘Summer Brain Drain’ Robs Some Students of Skills Gained During School Year from The Washington Post

How to prevent summer reading loss is also from The Washington Post

Making Summer Count is from The Rand Corporation

Summer School keeps the gap at bay has a good chart.

Why Summer Learning Deserves a Front-Row Seat in the Education Reform Arena is a good article from the John Hopkins University School of Education.

Six Reasons Students Get Summer Off (And The Agrarian Calendar Isn’t One of Them) is an interesting article.

How summer increases the achievement gap is from HechingerEd.

How I’m Helping My Students Try To Avoid The “Summer Slide”

Part Two Of “How I’m Helping My Students Try To Avoid The “Summer Slide””

On Summer Loss is a nice, short summary of research on summer learning loss.

Here’s a useful infographic:

How Summer Is Making U.S. Kids Dumber and Fatter is from Bloomberg.

Lowering the Temperature on Claims of “Summer Learning Loss” is by Alfie Kohn and gives a different perspective from what we usually hear.

This Looks Pretty Cool: “Maker Camp 2013″

You might also want to explore the over 600 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.