The Best Funny Videos Showing The Importance Of Being Bilingual Or Multilingual — Part One

'Multilingual Olympic Welcome - I believe Tagalog is missing :-) ! 0201201017862' photo (c) 2010, Roland Tanglao - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

A couple of days I ago I asked readers to help me out by suggesting video clips from movies and television that would demonstrate the importance of being bilingual. I’m creating a lesson plan (which I’ll share in this blog sometime in the future) where I’ll use videos, along with information from The Best Resources For Learning The Advantages To Being Bilingual.

I’ve just begun to view the suggestions, and still have to watch quite a few on Netflix, but thought I share some of the best that people suggested and that I just found by searching through YouTube.

Here are my choices for The Best Videos Showing The Importance Of Being Bilingual — Part One:

Anne is the one who got me looking on YouTube with her suggestion of “The importance of being bilingual”:

Here’s “Bilingual Cat”

Here’s one about the a European country’s Coast Guard:

This next one is a Egyptian version that’s nice because it has sub-titles:

This is called “The Language Barrier”:

“Should Have Taken A Foreign Language Class”:

This next one is good, but is probably better for Intermediate English classes. I think all the ones I’ve mentioned previously would be accessible to Beginners:

Here’s a cute scene of Dory speaking “Whale” in the movie, Finding Nemo:

Kathryn was kind enough to suggest that this scene from “I Love Lucy” would be useful to encourage students to become bilingual. It sure would have come in handy for Lucy!

Thanks to Kristyn Paul, I learned about his fun video:

Keep the suggestions coming. I’ll be publishing a Part Two soon. Many of people’s suggestions don’t have YouTube clips, so it’ll take me a while to watch all of them. And there are still some ones I need to watch on YouTube.

Feedback is welcome.

If you found this post useful, you might want to look at the 700 other “The Best…” lists and consider subscribing to this blog for free.

1. Fantastic! This will be a great addition to my teachersactup.com blog about the importance of learning another language and doing so with art and humor! voila! Wonderful collection–thank you so much! I’d seen some of these individually but grouped together makes quite an impact and a wonderful educator resource!

2. Pingback: The Best Videos Showing the Importance of Being Bi/Multi-lingual! « Teachers Act Up!

3. This was an insightful and funny post. Kudos.

I found it as I was looking for a comment to go with a post we’ll feature later today on multilingualism, which is a simple infographic about the 12 or 21 languages that dominate the mobile market, and thus the current business environment globally.

I promise to be back and share the link.

4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3gzee1cps

Barking cat – I guess that makes it bilingual…….