What A Great Video To Get Students To Think More Carefully About Their Writing…

Based on the fact this video has over nine million views on YouTube, I may be the last person who has seen it, but it’s still a great video to get students to think more carefully about their writing:

1. I wasn’t ready for that… :’( Beautifully done. Thanks for sharing, Larry.

2. Wow! What a great video! So touching! Thanks for sharing this. I had not yet watched it either.

3. Well, I don’t like the video and its peculiar, saccharine blindness.
    But I have no legs to stand on.

Once upon a time, as editor of a student newspaper, I had an interview with a blind freshman ready to print and a large hole on page one. It was after midnight, so no chance for a photo. I ran a black rectangle where a photo might have gone and provided a caption: “The way the world looks to (student’s name).”

The moment I woke up the next morning, I realized what an awful mistake I had made, but there was no way to correct it — 10,000 papers already printed!

Dozens of people jeered me in the dining commons. The quiet, hurt reaction of the freshman was the worst/best. From him, I learned that many blind people expand their concept of the very “to see” to include ways that they develop to perceive, experience, and enjoy a “beautiful” day. Though they sometimes need your help, they don’t require or appreciate pity.

4. I liked it and will use it to spark a lesson on revision. Thanks!

5. Pingback: What A Great Video To Get Students To Think More Carefully About Their Writing… | Web-based English language teaching and assessment | Scoop.it