Is This The Most Important Research Study Of The Year? Maybe

This month’s issues of ASCD Educational Leadership has just been published, and in it Robert Marzano reports on a study that may be the most important one that’s come out this year.

Here is a very simple summary of his study, which was a “meta-analysis” of hundreds of others: It found that “direct instruction” was a more effective instructional method than “unassisted discovery learning.” And it found that “enhanced discovery learning” trumped them both.

I personally think this idea of “unassisted discovery learning” is a bit of a “straw man.” It basically means that students have to learn on their own with very little assistance from a teacher. As example might be how I started a science lesson once on the scientific method — I gave students two cups — one half filled with water, and scissors and asked them to figure out how they would tell time with it. I call the issue a “straw man,” though, because I, and many other teachers, might start off a lesson like this (plenty of research has shown that the use of “novelty” like this is effective), I’m not convinced many would make the whole lesson “unassisted.”

What’s important, though, about the study, I think, is that it highlights that “enhanced discovery learning” was particularly effective.

Here’s how the study itself (you have to pay $12 to gain access to it) defined “enhanced discovery learning”:

…generation, elicited explanations, and guided discovery conditions. Generation conditions required learners to generate rules, strategies, images, or answers to experimenters’ questions. Elicited explanation conditions required that learners explain some aspect of the target task or target material, either to themselves or to the experimenters. The guided discovery conditions involved either some form of instructional guidance (i.e.,scaffolding) or regular feedback to assist the learner at each stage of the learning tasks.

That certainly sounds like the exact definition of inductive teaching and learning. a strategy which our school uses a whole lot, and about which I have written a great deal on this blog and in my books.

Plus, it gets the Marzano “imprimatur”!

What do  you think — am I exaggerating the potential importance of this study?

1. This study certainly fits with my experience and other research I’ve seen. I actually like the inclusion of the straw man because it cuts off the semi-inevitable “How can kids learn when teachers are too lazy to help them?” retort.

2. Pingback: HD_Links: Teaching Students How | Networked Teaching & Learning

3. I think one problem with Inquiry based learning, problem based learning, constructivist learning etc. is that there often are not common understandings or proper professional development on what these terms actually mean. I think that there is often a misinterpretation that these types of learning environments do not provide guidance. If implemented properly, this is not the case.

One book that has really helped me form my thinking on this debate is Constructivist Instruction Success or Failure Edited by Sigmund Tobias and Thomas M. Duffy. I would highly recommend this book if you are interested in thinking deeply about this topic.

4. Thanks for shedding light on this study. It’s certainly worthy of a closer look by many and especially those of us who subscribe to this type of teaching. (my school is PYP/IB so we are similar to inductive teaching like you) I like how the study, and you, put the emphasis on the fact that the type of teaching we are talking about here is still one of discovery where students are working to construct their knowledge about a situation that they are experiencing. While some may call that “unassisted discovery learning” it is clearly different because it requires constant observation, interaction and feedback from the teacher like you highlight.

I would argue that it is a very important study to use when trying to support and defend inductive/constructivist/inquiry type learning. The fact that it has a Marzano “seal of approval” is icing on the cake!

5. I agree & appreciate the nuance in your observations — straw man, indeed! (more hay-making, here: http://educationnext.org/eighth-grade-students-learn-more-through-direct-instruction/)

6. So similar to our Knowledge Building in Action mission!

http://www.youtube.com/user/KBIACSILE?feature=mhee

Couldn’t agree more!

7. Pingback: Ideas for E.L.L.'s | Celebrate the Holidays - NYTimes.com