The Best Online Resources For “Information Gap” Activities

Information Gap activities are often used in second language classrooms. They are generally designed as partner exercises where one student has to get information from the other — speaking the target language — in order to complete the assignment.

Picture Dictation may be the most popular use of this learning strategy. Each student has a different picture, and they verbally describe the image to their partner, who in turn has to draw it.

There are many other variation, too.

Here are my choices for The Best Online Resources For “Information Gap” Activities:

Here’s an example from ESL Gold.

Hands Out Online has an excellent example.

Lanternfish has many examples.

You can create these kinds of activities pretty easily on a Word document, or even just writing it in hand. However, if you want to make it even easier, you can pay a few bucks for a premium subscription to Quick Worksheets which has a template you can use.

Here’s an Info Gap exercise designed in a slightly different style.

Back & Forth: Photocopiable Cooperative Pair Activities for Language Development is a book of excellent activities that doesn’t quite fit into the definition of an “Information Gap,” but it’s pretty close. Instead of describing it here, though, I’m just going to recommend you view a few sample pages from the book.

Two Way “Tech” Tasks is by David Deubelbeiss.

As always, feedback is welcome.

You might want to explore my over 700 other “The Best…” lists and consider subscribing to this blog for free, too.