The Best Sites That Students Can Use Independently And Let Teachers Check On Progress is a “The Best…” list that can come in very handy for teachers and for students. It lists free sites where teachers can register their students, and both can keep track of their progress. They can be useful for reinforcing concepts and language learned in the classroom. Most, thought not all, of the sites on that list focus on English.

I thought a similar list targeting sites that let teachers and students do the same with Math could be useful. I know that over the years I’ve seen a number of them, but never bothered to bookmark the sites.

So I put out a call blog and on Twitter for suggestions. Here is what people recommended, and I hope others will contribute more (some are free, while others charge):

Brad Wilson  suggests that another for both ELA & math assessments is Easy CBM.

Bryan Corcoran said: One site that I’ve found to be quite beneficial is ThatQuiz.org. Toying around has found quite a variety of items to introduce and review with the students, and it catalogs quite a bit of data, making it easy to pinpoint individual problems, as well as class issues with specific math concepts.

comes from Tracy Macfarlane: I love xtramath.org. It is a free site that helps kids master their math facts. Initially, the student takes an assessment quiz of what they already have mastered as indicated by a response of 3 seconds or less. Each consecutive session is based on the outcome of the previous assessments. It takes about 5 minutes a day, provides corrective feedback, visuals for goal setting, and can be used for the whole class or set up at home by a parent.

A big thanks to Kelvin Hartell, who let me know about Study Ladder. It has impressive literacy, science and math interactives, and teachers can set-up “classrooms” to keep track of student work. Plus, it’s free!

You can apparently set up virtual classes at Khan Academy though, of course, there are other issues with Khan (see The Best Posts About The Khan Academy).

Thanks to reader Michelle Anthony, I’ve learned about ScootPad. It lets teachers set-up virtual classrooms to monitor student progress in grad one-to-three reading and math lessons. And it’s free.

Sumdog offers lots of online math games, and also lets you create a virtual classroom for your students.

XtraMath joins a fairly lengthy list of sites that students can use for math practice and have teachers monitor their progress. You can read more about it at Richard Byrne’s blog.

I’m not convinced that the world needs another site where students can practice math and have teachers track their progress, but there’s a new one in town called KnowRe. I’ll let math teachers judge the videos and exercises on the site. It’s free — at least for now.

Knewton Is Free & Lets Teachers Create Virtual Classrooms – But Is It Good?

Zearn

Prodigy Math Game Lets Teachers Create Virtual Classrooms

Delta Math is an online math site that lets teachers create free virtual classrooms.  You can read more about it at Richard Byrne’s blog. Bobson Wong has also written an extensive post about it that is worth reading.

Math Games is a free site for…math games that lets teachers create virtual classrooms and monitor student progress.

ASSISTments lets you create free virtual classrooms where students can learn math.

“LEGENDS OF LEARNING” ADDS A TON OF MATH GAMES

Splash Math is a new site that lets teachers create free virtual classrooms.

Tailor-Ed is a math tool where teachers can create virtual classrooms.

I Know It is a math site for younger learners where teachers can create virtual classrooms.

MangaHigh looks like an interesting game-based site to teach math. You can start with a free trial, but I couldn’t find how much it costs to use it regularly

KnowledgeHook is yet another online math tool where teachers can create virtual classrooms.

Splash Learn is a “gamified” online K-5 math program that’s free for teachers.

bytelearn is a free, and interesting looking, tool to help students learn math. It provides a problem, and then guides a student step-by-step to solving it.

Here’s a video about it:

Edia has online math worksheets.

Boddle Learning is yet another math online tool where teachers can create virtual classes and monitor student progress.

If you found post useful, you might want to explore the other 750 “The Best…” lists and consider subscribing to blog for free.