Data Gone Wild

Check-out the entire article to see the dangers of being data-driven, instead of being data-informed.

Now, read the story of Fresno teacher Judith Pansarosa:

Several years ago, our staff was ordered to create a “Data Wall” in our lunch room, perhaps to make the aura of oppression and degradation more complete. Being the highly creative rebel that I am, I thought there must be a way to transformthe bulletin board title “DATA WALL” into something that more appropriately represented our talented and unique teachers. As I moved the cut-out letters around on the table, searching for a positive message within, there it was… By simply transposing the syllables in DATA, the cheerful interjection TADA! appeared. We decorated our “TADA! WALL” with personal photos and artifacts showing the most important reasons why we were a group of outstanding teachers: we had life experiences and interests which made us an exceptional group of educators. We were people, not data generators, and we taught children, who we viewed as more than test scores.

I’m adding this post to The Best Resources Showing Why We Need To Be “Data-Informed” & Not “Data-Driven.”

1. ‘Rebel teachers’ who know how to rebel in style are so inspiring. Loved this story. Thanks for sharing, Larry.

2. Pingback: Publicizing Test Scores « seeingshadesofgray