I’m embarrassed to say that I had never heard of it before, but March 5th has been declared “World Book Day” by UNESCO. Here is how it’s explained by “Education Scotland”:
World Book Day was designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, and is marked in over 100 countries around the globe.
The origins of the day we now celebrate in the UK and Ireland come from Catalonia, where roses and books were given as gifts to loved ones on St George’s Day – a tradition started over 90 years ago.
World Book Day is a partnership of publishers, booksellers and interested parties who work together to promote books and reading for the personal enrichment and enjoyment of all.
Here are my choices for The Best Resources For World Book Day:
The World Book Day site has a ton of resources.
How to teach … World Book Day is from The Guardian.
And I thought this might be a good place to reprint links to all my reading-related “The Best…” lists:
- The Best Websites To Help Beginning Readers
- The Best Websites For Beginning Older Readers
- The Best Websites For Intermediate Readers
- The Best Sites To Learn About Street Gangs
- The Best Sites To Teach ELL’s About Libraries
- The Best Places To Read & Write “Choose Your Own Adventure” Stories
- The Best Sites To Help ELL’s Learn Idioms & Slang
- The Best Sites Where ELL’s Can Learn Vocabulary
- The Best Sources For Free & Accessible Printable Books
- The Best Websites For Developing Academic English Skills & Vocabulary
- The Best Online Personality, Career, Political & Just Plain Fun Quizzes
- The Best Sites For Learning About The Winter Season
- The Best Sites For Creating Sentence Scrambles
- The Best Sites For Images Of Fall Foliage (& For Teaching About The Season)
- The Best Sites For Learning About The Spring Season
The Best Sites For Creating Personalized “Newspapers” Online
The Best Collections Of Funny Signs (For Use In English Classes)
My Best Posts On Books: Why They’re Important & How To Help Students Select, Read, Write & Discuss Them
The Best Sites For Learning About The Summer
The Best Places For Students To Learn About…Their Names
The Best Resources Documenting The Effectiveness of Free Voluntary Reading
The Best Articles & Sites For Teachers & Students To Learn About Phonics
A Beginning List Of The Best Folklore & Myth Sites
The Best Sites For Learning About The Alphabet
Additional suggestions are welcome.
If you found this post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.
You might also want to explore the over 800 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.