The Best Resources For World Book Day — April 23rd or March 5th (Depending Where You Live)

I’m embarrassed to say that I had never heard of it before, but April 23rd has been declared “World Book Day” by UNESCO, though it’s celebrated on March 5th in the United Kingdom. Here is how it’s explained by “Education Scotland”. TIME explains the reason for the difference.

World Book Day was designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, and is marked in over 100 countries around the globe.

The origins of the day we now celebrate in the UK and Ireland come from Catalonia, where roses and books were given as gifts to loved ones on St George’s Day – a tradition started over 90 years ago.

World Book Day is a partnership of publishers, booksellers and interested parties who work together to promote books and reading for the personal enrichment and enjoyment of all.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources For World Book Day:

The World Book Day site has a ton of resources.

The Wikipedia World Book Day page.

How to teach … World Book Day is from The Guardian.

And I thought this might be a good place to reprint links to all my reading-related “The Best…” lists:

Additional suggestions are welcome.

You might also want to explore the over 800 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.