Regular readers are award of the concerns I have about the usefulness of the new Common Core Standards (see The Best Articles Sharing Concerns About Common Core Standards).
My Teacher Leaders Network colleague Anthony S. Colucci has just written an article titled “The Core Standards That Matter Most In My Classroom” that emphasize the standards that I think we should all be emphasizing, including:
• My class will be engaging.
• I will stress the importance of hard work.
• I will teach my students what it means to be responsible citizens.
• I will encourage my students to find careers they’ll love.
• I will treat my students with respect.
He encourages people to share their own “core” standards, too.
It’s a must-read article, and surely one that will end up on one of my year-end “Best…” lists.