“North America home to stunning third of world’s body weight”

(Oops, the quote in this article a newspaper attributed to the British Medical Council, and the headline in this post that I also quoted, is appears to be incorrect. Here’s how another account describes the study’s conclusions:

North America has only 6 percent of the world’s population, but 34 percent all the human biomass in the world that is due to obesity, the researchers said. In contrast, Asia has 61 percent of the world’s population, but only 13 percent of the world’s biomass due to obesity.

This is a line from an article on a new report written by the British Medical Council.

As the introduction to a fascinating Guardian interactive on the report states:

increasing population fatness could have the same implications for world food energy demand as an extra half a billion people living on the Earth

You can read more about it at MSNBC.

I’m adding the info to The Best Sites For Learning About Nutrition & Food Safety.

1. That doesn’t sound possible, is there actual numbers to support the claim. From how I understand it, if the average weight for North Americans is 180 pounds per person, which must be high, then the average weight of the rest of the world would be 60 pounds? Or am I screwing up the math somehow?