New Web Tool “Inklewriter” Is Easiest Way To Write Choose Your Own Adventure Story

As regular readers know, I’m a big fan on online Choose Your Own Adventure stories — both having students read and create them (see The Best Places To Read & Write “Choose Your Own Adventure” Stories).

And, even though I list several options in that list on how to write them, there has never really been a super simple way to do so.

Until now.

The new free web tool Inklewriter is, without a doubt, the easiest way to write a choose your own adventure story.

You can read more about it at Gamasutra, New, free tools allow any novice to make an accessible text adventure.

I can’t wait to have my students try it out in the fall!

1. I checked out their website. This is amazing. What suggestions/guidelines will you give your students to keep them focused and able to fully complete a story? The only drawback I can see is that it might be too easy for students to continue winding out different branches of the story, and not incorporate endings. Thoughts?

Rebecca
    http://blog.solaro.com/

• Rebecca,

Maybe not have them start on the web tool until they have a rough outline, including endings?

Larry

• For sure. I’m huge on outlines, but as a kid, I hated them. And my adventures teaching 7th grade English … poor kiddies! I tried telling them that I didn’t become a good writer until I figured out how to use outlines effectively. I’ve got to admit, as an adult, I’m pretty tempted to use inkle in my free time if I ever get any!

Rebecca

2. Hey there, really glad to hear you like inklewriter! We actually ran a workshop with some students last Monday and found that drawing nice visual flow charts for outlines, and then filling in with detail, was quite an effective way to make sure they finished.

We’re currently looking at developing some work schemes in association with some teachers, so hopefully these will be helpful too.

Finally, if you want to try it yourself, please do! We’re running a competition for short inkle stories right now with the winners getting published in an anthology app, Future Voices. Details on our site but if you want to enter – then the more the merrier.

Cheers!
    Jon