The Best Posts On The “Flipped Classroom” Idea

'flip' photo (c) 2009, Steve Hardy - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Check out my two-part Education Week Teacher series on the flipped classroom here

I’m a bit wary/skeptical about whole “Flipped Classroom” idea and how it works in practice.

Diana Laufenberg spoke for me, also, in some of her tweets about the concept:

But I’m still open to learning, and I invite your suggestions for additions to list. In the meantime, though, here are some posts that some of my questions more eloquently than I could:

The Flipped Classroom: Pro and Con is by Mary Beth Hertz and appeared in Edutopia.

‘Flipping’ classrooms: Does it make sense? is by Valerie Strauss at The Washington Post.

Three Questions To Consider Before We All Flip is by Richard Byrne.

Should You Flip Your Classroom? is by Ramsey Musallam and appeared in Edutopia.

Flipping for the Flipped Classroom Seems To Be the Trend but Not for Me is by Pernille Ripp.

I’ve Copyrighted “Flipped Classroom” is by Troy Cockrum.

Flipped classrooms: Let’s change the discussion is by Brian Bennett.

And here are some posts that appear to provide a fair amount of details on how to go about implementing it if you decide to do so:

Flipped Classroom Resources is a Google Doc from Dan Spencer.

Five Best Practices for the Flipped Classroom by Andrew Miller appeared in Edutopia.

How to Flip Your Classroom – and Get Your Students to Do the Work is by Peter Pappas.

Flipping The Classroom… A Goldmine of Research and Resources To Keep You On Your Feet is from Michael Gorman.

Educators Evaluate ‘Flipped Classrooms’ is from Education Week.

The Flip: End of a Love Affair is by Shelley Wright. Top Ed-Tech Trends of 2012: The Flipped Classroom is by Audrey Watters. Michelle has written a useful post at her blog on Flippin’ for ESL. If you’re an ESL teacher, I’d suggest it’s a “must-read.” In her post, he infographic from Daniel Grafton, which I think anyone exploring the idea of a Flipped Classroom would find helpful.

The Fuss Over Flipped Classrooms

Not Flipping for Flipped is by Josh Stumpenhorst.

Here’s a useful slideshow, The Flipped Classroom: Getting Started, by Peter Pappas:

‘Introduction to Ancient Rome,’ the Flipped Version is from The Chronicle of Higher Education.

The Condensed Classroom is from The Atlantic.

Three Tools for Improving Flipped Video Lessons is a new post from Richard Byrne.

Turning Education Upside Down is from The New York Times.

Flipped Classrooms: A Method For Mastery? appeared in The New York Times.

Flipping Over “Flipped Classroom” Lit is from All MOOCs, All The Time.

Three Good Tools for Building Flipped Lessons That Include Assessment Tools is a post from Richard Byrne.

Infographic Flipped Classroom is from Education Journey.

Verso is a web tool for students to watch video, and is particularly useful for “flipped” classrooms. You can read more about it at Richard Byrne’s post.

5 Mistakes to Avoid When Flipping Your Class is by Jon Bergmann.

“Tools for flipping your class”

Modifying the Flipped Classroom: The “In-Class” Version is from Edutopia.

Fixing the Flipped Classroom: @EDpuzzle is from Ed Tech Coaching.

What ‘They’ Forgot to tell you When Flipping your Classroom is from Common Core and Ed Tech.

My Flipped Classroom Experience is by Kenneth Headley.

Classroom Management and the Flipped Class is from Edutopia.

Feedback is welcome.

If you found post useful, you might want to look at the 900 other “The Best…” lists and consider subscribing to blog for free.

1. Thanks for aggregating this list for us! I agree that the conversation should be about pedagogy, not “homework” but am hopeful that successful stories of “flipped” implementation will likely shed light on the pedagogical transformations that come with the approach.

2. Pingback: Why The Flipped Classroom Is More Than Just Video

3. The “flipped class” model has been used in universities and colleges for many years.

Anyone recognize this model:
    1. Read the articles/chapters on your own time.
    2. Discuss them in the tutorial with peers and tutor.

This is the same “flipped” structure; it just uses earlier/lower technology. In the past, the teacher selected suitable readings and left it to the students to engage. The new technology enables the teacher’s creativity and their ability to be more intimately involved with making the assigned learning outside of the classroom more interactive and engaging (and more likely to be done).

4. Pingback: Flippin’ for ESL | Old Dog, New Tricks

5. Pingback: Educator Connection: Flipped Classroom Resources from the Teach 100 | User Generated Education

6. The flipped classroom, although not for everyone, is truly an innovative way of learning in the 21st century classroom. This article might help in answering a few questions. http://www.vvclassroom.com/?p=1198