The Best Resources On GIFs — Please Contribute More

The Web is awash with Olympics-related GIFS — animated shorts from photos or videos.

Today, The New York Times ran a very interesting story calling GIFs:

a particularly compelling storytelling format, an amalgamation of video and photo that despite its inherent succinctness is able to convey a narrative.

And Poynter also ran an extended feature on them last week. I was particularly struck by it suggesting that creating GIFs from online videos fell under “fair use.”

It seems like GIFsoup might be the best online tool to make them out of YouTube videos, but I found it to be pretty “buggy.”

Echograph looks like a very easy Smartphone app for creating GIFs, and you can read more about it at TechCrunch.

Google+ Photos Can Now Automatically Create Animated GIFs, Panoramas, HDR Images And Better Group Shots is a TechCrunch post sharing details on a ton of new Google+ photo-editing tools, including creating panoramas and GIFs.

You might also be interested in The Best Resources For Learning To Use The Video App ‚ÄúVine.”

Have you tried having students create GIFs? How have you done it? Is there value to using them in the classroom somehow?