The Best Visualizations Of How People Spend Their Days

There have been several visualizations created over the past couple of years showing how people spend their days. I’ve used them in lessons where students have created infographics indicating how they spend their time, and then they compare their results with the interactives.

Here are my choices for The Best Visualizations Of How People Spend Their Days:

How We Spend Our Time Now, in Three (Really Big) Graphs is from The Atlantic.

How Do You Spend Your Time? is from The Wall Street Journal.

Top 8 Ways Humans Spend Their Time, as Illustrated by Other Species is also from The Wall Street Journal.

What Americans Actually Do All Day Long, In 2 Graphics is the newest one, just published at NPR.

How Do You Spend Your Time? is a neat Wall Street Journal interactive from this year (2012), too. It’s based on Bureau of Labor Statistics data showing how the average American…spends his/her day. The difference in this one, though, is first you put your own data in saying how you spend your day. After you submit it, you’re compared with the average info.

In 2012, The Wall Street Journal has published a very accessible infographic titled At Work And At Play. It shows, by ethnicity, how Americans spend their work and leisure time. The data comes from the U.S. Department of Labor.

How The Average American Spends Their Day is a series of infographics showing how the average man, woman, and teenager spends their days. It’s a simplifed version of the next NY Times infographic.

The New York Times  published a fascinating infographic titled How Different Groups Spend Their Day in 2009.  Here’s how they describe it: “The American Time Use Survey asks thousands of American residents to recall every minute of a day. Here is how people over age 15 spent their time in 2008.” It actually shows what people did  every hour of everyday — sleeping, watching TV, eating, etc.  And the numbers are divided by ethnicity, age, education-background and more.  I could easily see having my students first do a similar analysis of their days and then comparing it to this infographic.  This one seems to have a different source of data than the Wall Street Journal visualizations use.

BONUS:

Here’s one on how they spend their money:

How the Average American Family Spends Money

Browse more infographics.

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore over 900 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Pingback: MiddleWeb's Latest Middle Grades Education Resources | MiddleWeb