The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2012 (So Far)

The resources on this list were not designed with education in mind, but which can easily be used for learning purposes — particularly, though not exclusively, for English language development. I only hope that creators of “educational” content can learn from the qualities that make these sites so engaging.

You might also be interested in:

The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2011

The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2010

Part Two Of The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2009

The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2009

The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2008

Here are my choices for The Best “Fun” Sites You Can Use For Learning, Too — 2012 (So Far):

VIDEOS:

These would be fun clips to to use in any of the video activities I describe in The Best Popular Movies/TV Shows For ESL/EFL.

You could start off by checking The Best Funny Movie/TV Clips Of Bad Teachers and The Best Fun Videos About Books & Reading.

And don’t miss The Best Video Clips Of Sneaky Critters.

Slapstick film often has engaging scenes to show to English Language Learners and for them to write and talk about what they saw. In fact, as I’ve previously written, I remember being shocked when I first showed some old silent slapstick films to my students and found that most of them had seen them already in refugee camps where they had lived (and I remember being shocked again when students in my mainstream classes saw the videos on my desk and had never heard of the films).

But slapstick doesn’t just belong to old films. Here a short commercial that I’m sure my ELL’s will enjoy and talk and write about:

This would be a fun and engaging video to show to English Language Learner students and then write a chronological sequence about what happened…

These videos may be good for a geography lesson, and they are also just plain fun:

Fred Astaire supposedly called this performance “the greatest dance number ever filmed.”

Check out the largest Rube Goldberg Machine in the world. It’s purpose is….to pop a balloon:

Here’s a video of a very sneaky penguin. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Learning About Penguins.

Show this to a class of English Language Learners so they can recount in sequence what they saw:

If you haven’t already seen this great short video, be sure to watch it til the end. It would be a fun one to show to ELL students and then have them describe what they saw orally and in writing:

ONLINE VIDEO GAMES:

I’ve previously written about how I use online video games as a language-development activity for my ELL students. Here are three new games, along with links to their walkthroughs (instructions on how to complete the game), that look good. Be sure to click “English” on both of them:

The Happy Escape (walkthrough)

Escape From The Device-Filled Room (walkthrough)

Mild Escape 5 (walkthrough)

BONUS:

Collaborate With A Famous Dead Author: Try out Google Docs new demo that lets you write collaboratively with your favorite dead famous writers. Then you get to save and share your creation. As Next Web explains:

A “famous writer” will start typing and then it’s your turn. Once you’ve typed in the next line, the writer takes over

Sing A Song: Send A Song lets you sing a song — with coaching — and send your rendition to a friend or post the link.

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore the 900 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.