The Best Posts & Articles About Why Book “Leveling” Is A Bad Idea

'Trey and Sophie read Holland' photo (c) 2010, arrathoonlaa@att.net - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

I’m not a fan of book “leveling” through the use of Lexile measures — in other words, restricting book choice by students based on reading test results.

Here are my choices for The Best Posts & Articles About Why Book “Leveling” Is A Bad Idea:

I wrote a post in this blog that generated some great comments, Concerns About Book “Leveling.”

The BC Teacher‐Librarians’ Association has published Book Leveling and School Library Collections.

Clearly the best piece out there on this topic is Guess My Lexile by Donalyn Miller, who also includes an excellent list of other resources.

Readability Scores on Kids’ Books Are Bogus: Most books come with an indication of how hard they are, and those estimates are mostly wrong is from the Smithsonian Magazine.

Feedback is welcome.

If you found this post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.

You might also want to explore the 900 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. My students get their Lexile scores each fall and spring from the MAP test. I find Lexile scores problematic because they don’t account for everything in the text. For example, Huck Finn has a 660 Lexile score, but that doesn’t account for the difficult dialects or all the required knowledge the reader needs to understand Huck as an unreliable narrator.