The Best Resources On Helping Our Students Develop A “Growth Mindset”

Jumping Silhouettes [Explored #420 02-21-2012]
Photo Credit: Antoine Gady via Compfight

The “question of the week” at my Education Week Teacher column this week is “How Can We Help Our Students Develop a Growth Mindset?” (NOTE: You can now read Carol Dweck’s guest response to that question here). As part of the response, which will be published on Tuesday, I thought a “The Best…” list would be useful.

Carol Dweck, who identified the concept, will be one of the guests responding to that question, and several readers have already shared their ideas. There’s still time to contribute yours….

You can find a specific lesson in my book, Helping Students Motivate Themselves, on how I incorporate the idea of a growth mindset in my classroom, and some of my other related ideas in my article in this month’s edition of ASCD Educational Leadership, Eight Things Skilled Teachers Think, Say, and Do.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources On Helping Our Students Develop A “Growth Mindset”:

I’ve got to start with Professor Dweck’s own website, Mindset Online. Other resources by her are included in all “The Best…” lists in this post.

Here are a few previous related “The Best…” lists:

The Best Posts, Articles & Videos About Learning From Mistakes & Failures

The Best Resources For Showing Students That They Make Their Brain Stronger By Learning

The Best Resources For Learning How To Best Give Feedback To Students

The Best Resources For Learning About The Importance Of “Grit”

Here is a fabulous infographic on the concept.

The Pajaro Valley School District has an excellent collection of resources, Carol Dweck’s Important Work on Mindsets.

Montgomery Schools also have a useful online packet.

Eduardo Briceño is the Co-Founder, with Dr. Carol Dweck, of Mindset Works:

Here’s The “Growth Mindset” Article & Prompt We’re Using As Part Of Our Semester Final

Useful “Fixed” vs. “Growth” Mindset Worksheet For Students

read two excellent posts today on giving effective feedback, and I’m adding both of them to The Best Resources For Learning How To Best Give Feedback To Students:

How To Give Good Feedback is by Annie Murphy Paul.

Here’s an excellent interview with Carol Dweck. I learn from all of her work, but I found this one particularly interesting because she shared some thoughts I hadn’t heard her say before. Here’s one particularly useful excerpt:

Our Students Are Not Supermen & Superwomen

Changing Teens’ Mindsets on Social Aggression is a useful Ed Week article.

Promoting Equity Through Teaching For A Growth Mindset

Quote Of The Day AND Video: “We’ll Score Goals When We Grow Old”

Interesting New Study By Carol Dweck

Quote Of The Day: “Your Thoughts Can Release Abilities Beyond Normal Limits”

‘Growth Mindset’ Gaining Traction as School Improvement Strategy is from Education Week.

Daniel Coyle shared this video on Twitter. Even though it has a sports focus, it can very easily be applied to any area of learning:

Studies Offer Practical Ways to Bring ‘Growth Mindset’ Research to Schools is an Ed Week post about some recent studies. One of them featured having students read about the struggles experienced by famous scientists, as opposed by focusing solely on their achievements, and resulted in higher student motivation and academic achievement. Here’s an earlier study done by the same researchers with Taiwanese students (the most recent research was with classes in New York) that reached similar conclusions and has a lot of interesting background information.

Teachers told: use ‘not yet’ in place of ‘fail’ when marking is from The Telegraph. It’s about a new guide for UK teachers on how to help students develop a growth mindset.

If you’ve found this list helpful, you might want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.

You might want to also view the over nine hundred other “The Best…” lists.

1. Pingback: Practice, even with failure, more important than talent – update « Millard Fillmore's Bathtub

2. Thank you for putting this all together! Mindset has been THE most influential book in my teaching, and I’ve been working hard to help my students develop growth mindsets. Wonderful to have a repository for these resources!