The Best Resources On Helping Our Students Develop A “Growth Mindset”

Jumping Silhouettes [Explored #420 02-21-2012]
Photo Credit: Antoine Gady via Compfight

Also check out Here Are The Movie Scenes That Readers Have Said Demonstrate A Growth Mindset – & I’m Still Looking For More

The “question of the week” at my Education Week Teacher column this week is “How Can We Help Our Students Develop a Growth Mindset?” (NOTE: You can now read Carol Dweck’s guest response to that question here). As part of the response, which will be published on Tuesday, I thought a “The Best…” list would be useful.

Carol Dweck, who identified the concept, will be one of the guests responding to that question, and several readers have already shared their ideas. There’s still time to contribute yours….

You can find a specific lesson in my book, Helping Students Motivate Themselves, on how I incorporate the idea of a growth mindset in my classroom, and some of my other related ideas in my article in this month’s edition of ASCD Educational Leadership, Eight Things Skilled Teachers Think, Say, and Do.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources On Helping Our Students Develop A “Growth Mindset”:

I’ve got to start with Professor Dweck’s own website, Mindset Online. Other resources by her are included in all “The Best…” lists in this post.

Here are a few previous related “The Best…” lists:

The Best Posts, Articles & Videos About Learning From Mistakes & Failures

The Best Resources For Showing Students That They Make Their Brain Stronger By Learning

The Best Resources For Learning How To Best Give Feedback To Students

The Best Resources For Learning About The Importance Of “Grit”

Here is a fabulous infographic on the concept.

The Pajaro Valley School District has an excellent collection of resources, Carol Dweck’s Important Work on Mindsets.

Montgomery Schools also have a useful online packet.

Eduardo Briceño is the Co-Founder, with Dr. Carol Dweck, of Mindset Works:

Here’s The “Growth Mindset” Article & Prompt We’re Using As Part Of Our Semester Final

Useful “Fixed” vs. “Growth” Mindset Worksheet For Students

read two excellent posts today on giving effective feedback, and I’m adding both of them to The Best Resources For Learning How To Best Give Feedback To Students:

How To Give Good Feedback is by Annie Murphy Paul.

Here’s an excellent interview with Carol Dweck. I learn from all of her work, but I found this one particularly interesting because she shared some thoughts I hadn’t heard her say before. Here’s one particularly useful excerpt:

Our Students Are Not Supermen & Superwomen

Changing Teens’ Mindsets on Social Aggression is a useful Ed Week article.

Promoting Equity Through Teaching For A Growth Mindset

Quote Of The Day AND Video: “We’ll Score Goals When We Grow Old”

Interesting New Study By Carol Dweck

Quote Of The Day: “Your Thoughts Can Release Abilities Beyond Normal Limits”

‘Growth Mindset’ Gaining Traction as School Improvement Strategy is from Education Week.

Daniel Coyle shared this video on Twitter. Even though it has a sports focus, it can very easily be applied to any area of learning:

Studies Offer Practical Ways to Bring ‘Growth Mindset’ Research to Schools is an Ed Week post about some recent studies. One of them featured having students read about the struggles experienced by famous scientists, as opposed by focusing solely on their achievements, and resulted in higher student motivation and academic achievement. Here’s an earlier study done by the same researchers with Taiwanese students (the most recent research was with classes in New York) that reached similar conclusions and has a lot of interesting background information.

Teachers told: use ‘not yet’ in place of ‘fail’ when marking is from The Telegraph. It’s about a new guide for UK teachers on how to help students develop a growth mindset.

Two Good Videos On How We Learn & How I Plan To Use Them In Class

New Research: Students Benefit from Learning That Intelligence Is Not Fixed is from MindShift.

Two New Sesame Street Videos On Social Emotional Learning

Researchers See What A Growth Mindset Does To The Brain

Video: New TEDx Talk By Carol Dweck

Study Finds That Bilingualism Supports A Growth Mindset

Quote Of The Day: I Think This Is The Best Article Carol Dweck Has Written

Good Videos On A Growth Mindset, The Importance Of Learning From Mistakes & A Lot More

Khan Develops Decent Lesson On Growth Mindset But, Come On, Can’t They Create An Engaging Video?

New Study Shows That Teaching About “Growth Mindset” Works At Large Scale – Or Does It?

Three Useful Growth Mindset Resources

The Limits To The Power Of A Growth Mindset (& The Dangers When We Don’t Recognize Them)

The Educator and the Growth Mindset is from Jackie Gerstein and Metacognition Curriculum is an older post from Frank Noschese.

Test Your Mindset is an online interactive from Carol Dweck that I think would be useful to offer to students.

Helping Students Reach Their Full Potential with the Growth Mindset is by Dan Winkler and provides a pretty good, and short, definition of a growth mindset.

Here’s a TED-Ed lesson using the above video.

Growth Mindset – More Evidence is from Alex Quigley.

There was a recent conference in the UK which featured Carol Dweck. It sounds like she made some interesting points, particularly around what she called a “False Growth Mindset.” Here are some reports on that talk, along with other resources:

Why the ‘false growth mindset’ explains so much is from The Learning Spy. The Mindset Journey is from Drowning in the Shallow.

Quote Of The Day: Carol Dweck On “Nagging”

Guest Post: Growth Mindset Memes

Shaun Allison has written an exceptional post and created a great slideshow about the growth mindset. He graciously gave me permission to share his slideshow here:

Carol Dweck and Growth Mindset is a well-done and interesting thirty minute BBC interview with Carol Dweck and her associates

Why a ‘Growth Mindset’ Won’t Work is a very good column by Peter DeWitt.

Quote Of The Day: “What Does This Experience Make Possible?”

Growth Mindset – Don’t Throw The Baby Out With The Bathwater

Research Study On Humility Perfect For Students (& Useful For All Of Us)

When Pupils Talk in Absolutes: Understanding Mindset though Self-Narrative is by Sarah Donarski.

Quote Of The Day: “Effort Is Not The Only Thing” – Carol Dweck On A Growth Mindset

Mindset Scholars Network Website Is Key New Resource For Social Emotional Learning

If you’ve found this list helpful, you might want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.

You might want to also view the over nine hundred other “The Best…” lists.

1. Pingback: Practice, even with failure, more important than talent – update « Millard Fillmore's Bathtub

2. Thank you for putting this all together! Mindset has been THE most influential book in my teaching, and I’ve been working hard to help my students develop growth mindsets. Wonderful to have a repository for these resources!

3. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

4. This is great. Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing it! I will begin my first year of teaching next school year and I am so glad I stumbled upon this research. I will definitely try to instill growth mindset in all the students I have the privilege of teaching!

5. Thank you. This is a really useful collection of resources.