I’ve suggested that the recent study finding that motivation was more important than IQ in determining academic growth was the most important research of the year. Since I originally posted about it, a number of other news outlets have run pieces on its findings. I’ll certainly be adding it to my sequel to Helping Students Motivate Themselves.

I thought it would be useful to bring them all together in one post.

Here are my choices for The Best Posts & Articles On The “Motivation Trumps IQ” Study:

Is This The Most Important Research Study Of 2012? Maybe was my original post on the study.

Another Article On The “Motivation Trumps IQ” Study is a post I wrote about a TIME magazine article that provides additional information.

Study: Student Motivation, Study Strategies Trump IQ for Learning Gains is from Education Week Teacher.

Motivation, Study Habits Are Keys to Math Ability, Not IQ is from Psych Central. Here’s how they summarized the study:

Motivation and study skills turned out to be more important factors in terms of students’ growth (their learning curve or ability to learn) in math.

Memory work, or rote learning, was not a factor for math success. Factors that were associated with math achievement included: students who felt competent; were intrinsically motivated; used skills like summarizing, explaining, and making connections to other materials; and avoided rote learning.

In contrast, students’ intelligence had no relation to growth in math achievement.

“Our study suggests that students’ competencies to learn in math involve factors that can be nurtured by education,” said Murayama. “Educational programs focusing on students’ motivation and study skills could be an important way to advance their competency in math as well as in other subjects.”

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore the 1000 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.