The Best Resources On The Value & Practice Of Having Older Students Mentoring Younger Ones

As I’ve previously mentioned, it looks like I’ll be teaching a couple of classes of Seniors next year (in addition to ESL and IB TOK) instead of my usual double-block ninth-grade English class. My colleague Katie Hull, who will be teaching a ninth-grade English class, and I are going to try an experiment where my students doing regular teaching/mentoring with hers (our classes will be at the same time).

So, I’ve begun collecting resources that might be useful. I hope you’ll suggest others:

Surprise, Surprise: Study Finds That Relationships Promote Perseverance & Cash Bonuses Do Not
is my previous post where I began this discussion and also shared some resources.

Questions To Ask People We Want To Mentor, Including Students (& Ones We Might Want To Ask Ourselves) is another previous post.

Barking Up The Wrong Tree found an interesting study that found:

Undergrads who wrote letters of encouragement to “at-risk” middleschoolers advising them to persevere and that intelligence “is not a finite endowment but rather an expandabale capacity” became, themselves, happier and better in school for months afterward.

It’s Official: “What Works Clearinghouse” Approves Study That Shows Relationships Promote Perseverance & Cash Bonuses Do Not

Teen mentors inspire healthier choices in younger children is a report on a new study demonstrating the effectiveness of older students mentoring younger ones.

Feedback, including suggestions of additional resources, is welcome.

If you found this post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.

You might also want to explore the 1000 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.