NOTE: This was originally a list only focused on Vine, but was expanded when Instagram added video-recording features

Twitter has announced the shutdown of Vine, but says they’ll keep the videos online – Twitter Shutters Vine – Instagram Videos Are Better, Anyway – Especially For Education

NOTE THIS NEW APP: Apple’s New Video-Editing App “Clips” Is Much More….

'Instagram - 8' photo (c) 2011, Brent Ozar - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

50d7e05aa6fe5d477e48a63047e38ce7_bigger

Twitter’s new video app Vine is only supposed to be used by people over the age of seventeen, so it’s not usable in K-12 classes. However, it is usable by educators communicating with other educators on social networks and, of course, by and for adult learners (or, as I do, by teachers filming the videos in their own account). Here are some useful resources on using the app, and I hope others will more — including if you have ideas on how to use it in teaching and learning:

8 Creative Ways To Use Six Seconds On Twitter Vine is from Make Use Of.

What cognitive psychology teaches us about creating effective Vine videos
is from Poynter.

4 Storytelling Tips for Making 6-Second Short Films with Vine is from The 21st Century Fluency Project.

Twitter’s Vine App Now Supports Embeds, Expanded To Facebook & Twitter is from TechCrunch.

20 Ways To Use Twitter’s Vine In Education is from The ASIDE blog.

How To Use Vine In The Classroom is from edudemic.

Vine Fights Instagram With Biggest App Update Yet is from TechCrunch.

3 Ways To Use Vine In The Project-Based Learning Classroom is from Teach Thought.

Using Vine/Instagram In The Classroom

I had my Beginning English Language Learners try it out, and it went great! We used the videos as a formative assessment to determine their understanding of new vocabulary, and they loved creating them. And it was so fast and easy! Next week, they’ll be using puppets.

We used my iPhone, and since Vine is blocked by our school internet filters, I just uploaded them to our YouTube channel (Vine’s can automatically be saved to your phone’s camera roll).

Here they are:

Making Instagram Videos With English Language Learners

Vine Update Lets Users Edit Videos, Save Multiple Drafts is from TechCrunch.

“Student Contest | 15-Second Vocabulary Videos”

‘Vining’ the Bill of Rights: History lesson taps social media is from The PBS News Hour.

Winners Of 15 Second Vocabulary Video Contest Announced By NY Times

Creating Instagram Video “Book Trailers” With English Language Learners

Using Instagram, Bloom’s Taxonomy & Student Interest As A Fun Part Of A Semester Final

Geography Instagram Videos By English Language Learners

Here Are Some Instagram Videos My Theory Of Knowledge Students Created

More TOK & ELL Student Instagram Videos

Two Neat Contests From The NY Times Learning Network

Instagram Announces Plan To Increase Videos To One Minute – Great For Teachers, Students & Everybody Else
“Guess What!” Is A Great “New” Game – Plus, ELLs Can Create A Video For An Authentic Audience

NY Times Learning Network Announces Winners Of Annual 15-Second Vocabulary Video Contest

15 Second Book Talks Take 1 is from Colby Sharp. It’s about using Instagram’s new Stories tool for creating book talks. I’ve written a lot about how I use Instagram’s video feature for book talks and other projects (see The Best Resources For Learning To Use The Video Apps “Vine” & Instagram). I hadn’t paid much attention to the Stories feature because I knew it would automatically delete after twenty-four hours. But, after further investigation, I learned that it’s easy to save the videos as permanent.

How Are You Using Instagram For Teaching & Learning?

Instagram Stories are coming to the web is a post from TechCrunch

New Big Collection Of Free Music To Use With Facebook & Instagram Videos

GREAT STUDENT-CREATED VOCABULARY VIDEOS!

Nathan Pyle shares pretty creative cartoons and videos online.  In one of his series, he has pigeons walking around having conversations.  Yes, I know it sounds weird, but it works.  You can see one of his videos here and, at the same time, he explains how he uses Instagram to create them.  I think students could use this technique, too, and not just with pigeons.

YT to IG is a new that lets you easily post YouTube videos to Instagram.

Instagram during classes is from the British Council.

The Winners of Our 2020 Vocabulary Video Contest for High Schoolers is from The NY Times Learning Network.

INSTAGRAM UNVEILS “REELS” – DOES IT HAVE POTENTIAL IN TEACHING & LEARNING?

igram lets you download images and videos from Instagram.

Feedback is welcome.

If you found this post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.

You might also want to explore the 1000 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.