The Best Tools For Creating Visually Attractive Quotations For Online Sharing

'The 'Library'' photo (c) 2010, Quinn Dombrowski - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

I periodically find quotations that I think are particularly important and that I’d like to . them as plain text is functional, but displaying them in a visually attractive way increases the chances of people taking the time to read them.

Here the the free and easy tools that I’ve used. I hope readers will suggest others:

My favorite right now is a new smartphone app called Quipio (you can read more about it at TechCrunch). It’s super-simple to use — search for an image, type in the passage, and . Here’s one I just created as part of a Twitter chat I’m doing for my new book, Self-Driven Learning:

Another one I use is a bookmarklet called As Image. It lets you highlight and enlarge text from any site, though it doesn’t let you add a photograph. I typically will create it, post it on Pinterest, and then grab the embed code from there to use on my blog. I just find that to be the quickest and easiest way to . If you do that, though, I usually delete all the code right before “Source” because if you don’t, it makes it more difficult to post anything on a blog post after the embed without the next line looking weird.Here’s an example, again from my book:

image

Someecards lets you pick clip art and add your quotation. Here, again, I usually just pin it to Pinterest and use their embed code on my blog. Here’s an example:

image

Changemrkers lets you easily create a text “poster” that you can then on social media. You have to upload your own image, though, as opposed to grabbing one off the web. Here’s one I created that I, again, posted to Pinterest and then used their embed code:

Change makers

Thanks to Donna Baumbach, I’ve learned about Quozio, another super-easy way to create visually attractive quotations. Just type them in, or use a bookmarklet to highlight words on a page, and you’re given many display options. Here’s a simple one:

Thanks again to Donna Baumbach for another great tool to create visually attractive quotations.

Pinwords is especially nice because it’s web-based and lets you grab images off the web to use. Here’s an example:

QuotesCover is a new online tool that lets you either search for quotes or insert your own text and make it look uniquely attractive. No registration is required.

Here’s an example of a finished product, though there are many choices for font and color:

ReciteThis works in a similar way to the other tools on this list:

Findings is a web tool that, once you install a bookmarklet, lets you highlight and save quotations and their sources. Even more importantly, you can search for ones that others have saved even if you haven’t registered. You can turn them into visually attractive quotes that can be on social media, though it doesn’t seem that you can take them directly from the site and embed them elsewhere (however, you can, for example, embed the tweet you send of it.

Words On is an iPhone/iPad app that lets you add text to any of your photos.

Notegraphy is a web and phone based application that lets you attractively display text. I learned about it from Richard Byrne’s blog. It seems okay, though I couldn’t get it to work with Pinterest and it doesn’t provide an embed code. I downloaded this quote to my computer and uploaded to this post:

FromDostudenttestscoresprovidesolidbasistoevaluateteachersStanfordGraduateSchoolofEducation

25 Sites For Creating Interesting Quote Images is from Edudemic.

You might also want to explore the 1075 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. I was just wondering how to do this! Thanks for the inspiration. Thinking about how to give one of these tools a spin with poets in April!

2. LOVE this info. Thanks! I knew there must be cool and easy ways to do this, but just hadn’t gotten around to finding them. This is super helpful.

3. I’ve been using Quozio (http://quozio.com/) It’s a web-based application and it looks similar to Quipio that you mentioned. Maybe the same people? I’ll have to check that out.

4. Just downloaded Quipio and used it immediately. Thanks for sharing this tool.
    Scott