874517915409535_a-c5e061cc_YnHTUQ_pm

This is probably the last of my “Best Of 2013 — So Far” — I’ll start publishing my year-end lists in November.

This list is an opportunity for me to pick my personal favorites. You can see favorites from previous years at My Best Posts From The Last Six Years.

Here are my favorites from the first six months of 2013:

I published my fifth book, Self-Driven Learning: Teaching Strategies For Student Motivation. You can see lots of excerpts here (I’ve just begun working on the third volume in the series).

I published many “The Best…” lists, and there are now close to 1,150 of them. Here are a few of my favorite ones from this year so far:

The Best Web 2.0 Applications For Education In 2013 – So Far

My Best Posts On Writing Instruction

The Best Videos For Educators In 2013 – So Far

The Best Articles (And Blog Posts) Offering Practical Advice & Resources To Teachers In 2013 – So Far

The Best Places To Create Funny Subtitles For Silent Movies

The Best Resources For Doing A “One-Sentence Project”

I’ve published quite a few articles in other publications this year. Here are a few of my favorites:

I’ve continued to enjoy doing my monthly New York Times column on teaching English Language Learners and my weekly teacher advice column in Education Week Teacher.

The Washington Post reprinted my piece, Teacher: How my 9th graders graded me.

Here are some useful posts on classroom management:

Classroom Management Strategy: “Sometimes The Only Thing Worse Than Losing A Fight Is Winning One”

Classroom Management Strategy: Here Are Three Things I Want. What Are Three Things You Want?

Irritation Vs. Agitation

Surprise, Surprise: Study Finds That Relationships Promote Perseverance & Cash Bonuses Do Not

Here are a couple on education policy:

New Research Shows Why Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and Character Education Are Not Enough

The New York Times Has Discovered The Perils Of Being Data-Driven — I Just Wish Arne Duncan Would, Too

Here are a few miscellaneous ones I like:

Knowledge Isn’t Power — “Power is Power”

The “Best Learning Techniques” Are Useless If Students Won’t Do Them — A Critical Take On A Well Done Study

A Surprising Study Only To People Who Have Never Worked In The Community: Low-Income People Care About Their Neighborhoods