The Best Articles About The Study Showing Social Emotional Learning Isn’t Enough

'Stress Reduction' photo (c) 2011, Eamon Curry - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Earlier today, I posted about a new study showing that social emotional learning isn’t enough — that poverty causes a lack of self-control and perseverance and it’s not the other way around.

Since that time, several other articles have come out on the same research, and I thought I’d collect them here:

I’ll start off with my piece, Social Emotional Learning Can Help, But More Research Shows It’s Not Enough.

How Financial Woes Change Your Brain (And Not for the Better) is from TIME.

Poverty strains cognitive abilities, opening door for bad decision-making, new study finds is from The Washington Post.

Poverty saps mental capacity to deal with complex tasks, say scientists is from The Guardian.

Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much by Sendhil Mullainathan and Eldar Shafir – review is from The Guardian, and is particularly interesting. It’s not really about the study, but it’s by the same researchers who elaborate on what they’ve found through much of their research.

Understanding the Cognitive Demands of Poverty on our Students is from Education Week (this is on a different, but similar, study).

Your Brain on Poverty: Why Poor People Seem to Make Bad Decisions is from The Atlantic. I think this quotation from it is particularly important:

As Eldar Shafir, the author of the Science study, told The Atlantic Cities’ Emily Badger: “All the data shows it isn’t about poor people, it’s about people who happen to be in poverty. All the data suggests it is not the person, it’s the context they’re inhabiting.”

How Being Poor Makes You Poor is from The Pacific Standard.

Escaping The Cycle Of Scarcity is from The New York Times. It shares some interesting ideas on how to respond to this problem, but seems breathtakingly oblivious to the need for political action to get the its roots causes.

Teaching A Person To Fish, “Buying The Pond,” & Social Emotional Learning

Some Very Interesting Info On Self-Control Research

Must-Read Article About A Must-Read Study: “Can Upward Mobility Cost You Your Health?”

1. Thanks for putting this information together! To share with my staff, I collected the linked articles in an Issuu publication: http://issuu.com/fr3dt3ch/docs/social_emotional_learning_isn___t_e