What Was The Best Education-Related Book You Read This Year?

'My Favorite Books' photo (c) 2004, Meredith P. - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

As I’ve done every December for the past several years, I’m inviting readers of this blog to share the best education-related book that you read over the past twelve months.

Leave a your choice in the comments section with no more than a sentence or two description/explanation. As usual, I’ll publish a full list on January 1st.

December 29th is the deadline to get your choice in if you want me to include it in the post….

Here are posts from previous years:

The Best Education-Related Books Visitors To This Blog Read In 2012

The Best Education-Related Books Visitors To This Blog Read In 2011

The Best Education-Related Books Visitors To This Blog Read In 2010

The Best Education-Related Books Visitors To This Blog Read In 2009

The Best Education-Related Books Visitors To This Blog Read In 2008

1. Ten things a child with autism wishes you knew by Ellen Notbohm.
    Sensible, awesome suggestions

• Thank you, Brenda. It takes a sensible, awesome educator to suggest books that are equal to her commitment and perspective.

2. I have two: the motivational Teach like a Pirate by Dave Burgess, about keeping enthusiasm and passion in your practice, and as a history teacher, the invaluable guide to historical thinking concepts, The Big Six by Peter Seixas and Tom Morton.

3. “Focus” be Mike Schmocker-the title really says it all

4. “Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives”, by Peter H. Johnston

5. Full disclosure: I served as editor for both of these books. They come straight from real classrooms and represent visionary teaching practices.

Connected from the Start: Global Learning in the Primary Grades, by Kathy Cassidy.

Teaching In High Gear: My Shift Toward a Student-Driven, Inquiry-Based Science Classroom, by Marsha Ratzel.

http://shop.plpnetwork.com/books/

6. Focus by Mike Schmoker. I am committed to teaching the simplified, focus way and I know my students are working harder and learning more as the outcome.

7. Ira Socol’s Drool Room blew me away, enough to make me feel unsteady in the classroom. It will change what I do, and possibly who I am.

Should be mandatory reading for anyone who works with less than perfect children.

8. Book Love by Penny Kittle We have to get students reading, and Kittle’s book teaches how.

9. Donalyn Miller’s Reading in the Wild or Penny Kittles Book Love

10. Reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller. Honest, challenging, thought-provoking!

11. Either reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller or Igniying a Passion for Reading by Steven Layne.