geo1

Our Winter Break ends on Monday, and our first semester comes to an end in two weeks.

As regular readers know, one of my classes is a Geography class for Intermediate English Language Learners, and I thought I’d share with readers what I plan on having them do as a “final.”

This final obviously builds on what we’ve studied in class, including all the work we’ve done with “sister classes” around the world and the upcoming project they’ll be doing about their own cultures next week. Plus, it builds on the academic writing we’ve been doing.

The final will be a simple reading followed by a prompt. They’ll be reading How to Respect Other Cultures, followed by this prompt:

According to the authors, why is it important to learn about other cultures and what are the best ways to do it? Do you agree with what the authors are saying? To support your opinion you may use examples from your own experiences (including what has taken place in our class this year), your observations of others, and any of your reading.

You can see similar prompts and the reasons for their wording at My Best Posts On Writing Instruction.

Feedback on this final, including ideas on how I can make it better, are welcome!