'magnifying glass' photo (c) 2005, Tall Chris - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I often write about research studies from various fields and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing a “round-up” of some of them each week or every other week as a regular feature.

By the way, you might also be interested in My Best Posts On New Research Studies In 2013.

Here are some new useful studies:

57 Cognitive Biases That Screw Up How We Think is from Business Insider.

Reading a Novel Alters Your Brain Connectivity — So What? offers a different perspective on a recently study I posted about at Study: “How Stories Get Into Your Brain.”

What Would Make You More Likely to Read This Story? reports on research finding what kinds of headlines were more likely to attract readers. Here’s an excerpt:

Not only were question headlines more effective than declarative headlines, self-referencing questions (such as those including “you” or “your”) were also found to generate higher readership than those without self-referencing cues.

I’m adding this info to The Best Sources Of Advice For Teachers (And Others!) On How To Be Better Bloggers.

Coaching Young People to Be Positive Pays Off is from Science Daily. Here’s an excerpt:

Positive attitudes such as self-belief, aspiration, flexibility and appetite for learning were associated with less hyperactivity, fewer emotional problems, fewer problems with fellow pupils and greater inclination to help others. Pupils with this positive mindset were also happier and slept better. Interestingly, a range of employability skills such as teamwork, problem solving and planning were also associated with greater happiness in pupils.

I’m adding this info to My Best Posts On Why It’s Important To Be Positive In Class.

The 99U Guide to Habits includes several good articles. I’m adding it to The Best Ways To Help Make Your New Year’s Resolutions Succeed.

Readability Scores on Kids’ Books Are Bogus: Most books come with an indication of how hard they are, and those estimates are mostly wrong is from the Smithsonian Magazine. I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Articles About Why Book “Leveling” Is A Bad Idea.