The Best Mobile Apps For English Language Learners

'the htc hero android phone on trial, it ain't no iphone.' photo (c) 2010, Phil Campbell - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I’ve been putting some effort this year into thinking how to encourage my English Language Learner students, particularly Beginners, to make language-learning a part of their entire day — not just the time they are in school or doing homework.

I’ve written about one attempt at Having English Language Learners Use Cellphones To Identify High-Interest Vocabulary.

And I definitely encourage them to use various online tools at home — if they have an Internet connection.

I’ve also been paying some attention to mobile apps — most of my students now have some kind of smartphone (always Android — an iPhone is just too expensive for them). Just as many of us use apps when we have a little time to “kill,” I figure students are often in the same position.

The issue, though, is identifying apps that are engaging enough for them to want to use it.

Duolingo seems to fit the bill, and is on The Best Sites For Learning Spanish Online and to The Best Multilingual & Bilingual Sites For Learning English. It’s rapidly expanding its offerings, and has been praised in the media a lot recently.

My students have recently downloaded it, and seem to like it a lot.

The British Council, of course, has some nice apps.

And Android Authority put together a decent list over a year ago.

Mobile learning: How students can improve their English anytime, anywhere is from The British Council.

Lingua.ly Launches App ELLs Might Like

Duolingo Gets A Whole Lot Better…

Teaching tips: How students can use their mobile phones to learn English is from The British Council.

Also, check out this older list:

The Best Tablet & Smartphone Apps For English Language Learners

What free mobile apps have you found ELLs to like, and be useful? I’ll add them to this list…. (I’m primarily looking for apps that students can download for their use outside of school, but would also love to hear about others, too).

Sorry if this post gets to you twice but I’m not sure if it got through the first time.
    Why don’t you check out eREpetitio.com – a service for learners I’ve just launched. It’s predominantly for language learners and it is also available in two free mobile apps: for iOS and Android.
    Hope you like it.
    Bet,
    Ray Sawka

2. Try award-winning @SpeakingPal for a unique focus on the #English #speaking skill. The learner talks with a video character on his/her mobile and gets instant feedback on how all words and sentences were pronounced. Winner of SXSWedu 2013! Very interactive and engaging learning experience that uses automatic #speech recognition with proprietary scoring logic.

3. Do you know of an app that doesn’t require reading to learn English? A simply verbal one? I have students who are trying to learn to speak, but also to read for the first time – in any language. They can’t read fast enough to take advantage of the playback feature on the ‘speakingpal’ app, which is a shame.

4. I think a nice way to learn english is to play some sort of free typing game like AutoCorrects, no one should pay to learn a language.

Since that game grants you score for autocorrects, typing speed and correct spelling,

that can be just what you need. Because this adds fun features to a learning process and because it’s boring to just practice,
    in the end it’ll actually teach you words in English, you know you pick one word a time it’ll teach you how to spell correctly.

You can just as well use any other typing game or something in the area, thought that one is free. don’t be square about the ways you learn English.
    I learned mostly from TV and the internet.
    If you want to that’s the app I talked about:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=il.co.shibby.auto_complete

5. You can also find language partners and speak to native speakers at:

http://nekoplaza.com

Easy and free.