The Best Resources On “One-To-One” Laptop/Tablet Programs — Please Suggest More!

'one to one' photo (c) 2008, David Sedlmayer - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Here’s a link to my two-part Ed Week series on successfully implementing one-to-one programs

I’ll soon be covering a question in my Education Week Teacher column about one-to-one laptop/tablet programs, and thought it would be useful to readers (and to me!) to create a “Best” lists on the topic (Check out my nine-minute BAM! Radio Podcast on What Are the Real Benefits of a 1:1 Program? What Are the Biggest Challenges? Educators Alice Barr and Troy Hicks share their thoughts, and they are also among contributors to one of my future Education Week columns on the topic).

This list will be fairly limited at the beginning, but I’m confident readers, particularly teachers who are actually doing a one-to-one program, will contribute great stuff in the comments. I’ll be regularly adding those contributions to the post itself, but be sure to check the comments, anyway.

Here’s a start:

Big Educational Laptop and Tablet Projects: Looking at Ten Countries is from Larry Cuban’s blog and provides an excellent overview.

I have a number of useful resources at previously published “The Best….” lists and other posts in this blog, including at:

The Best Research Available On The Use Of Technology In Schools

Tablets Or Laptops?

The Best Advice On Using Education Technology

The Best Resources For Beginning iPad Users

Another Study On Schools Providing Students Home Computers Finds The Obvious Results

A Very Beginning List Of The Best Articles On The iPad Debacle In Los Angeles Schools

Here are more resources from other places:

Maine’s Decade-Old School Laptop Program Wins Qualified Praise is from The Huffington Post.

Unfazed, Houston Pushes Ahead on 1-to-1 Computing is from Education Week.

Why Schools Must Move Beyond One-to-One Computing is from November Learning.

Power Up! / Your 1:1 Program: Can You Answer These 10 Questions? is by Doug Johnson.

1. Dear Larry:
    You may think I am following you a lot!
    I was really surprised to see that the first blog you featured was Larry Cuban’s, which I, like you, considered an extremely complete one. Why was I surprised, because during one of the modules I had to study for my Specialization on Secondary School Teaching and ICT, one of the mandatory readings was Larry Cuban’s blog posts! What a coincidence: but all was translated into Spanish, of course but I, as a very curious EFL teacher went to his blog in English! Amazing ideas and conclusions.
    Let me be honest, he describes the plans here in Argentina very well: Conectar Igualdad and Plan Sarmiento, which are obviuosly for state schools: all the teachers and students have notebooks or netbooks. I do NOT, because I work in a private school! What a disappointment! It is totally unfair! I felt like sharing this with you because what I recently blogged about was a post for Teaching Village, High Tech Ideas in the Low Tech Class. Thanks for your time, Larry!