The “All-Time” Best Places To Find The Most Popular (& Useful) Resources For Educators

576941796430006_a-a0731904_9fgeUw_pm

I’ve been posting annual lists of The Most Popular (& Useful) Resources For Educators for a number of years. There are a number of ways to gauge “popularity.” I just view these lists as opportunities to check-out some new sites, and find it interesting to see which ones might be particularly “popular.”

I thought it would be useful for readers, my students, and me to review them all and identify my choices for the “all-time” best ones.

I’ve begun creating a number of these “All-Time” Best list, with The “All-Time” Best Ways To Create Online Content Easily & Quickly being the first ; The “All-Time” Best Web 2.0 Applications For Education second;  The “All-Time” Best Videos For Educators third;  The “All-Time” Best Online Learning Games was the fourth one; The “All-Time” Best Social Studies Sides was fifth; and The “All-Time” Best Science Sites was sixth.

Look for quite a few more “All-Time” Best lists over the next couple of months.

There are nearly 1,300 Best lists now that are categorized and updated regularly.  You can see them all here.

Here are my choices for  The “All-Time” Best Places To Find The Most Popular (& Useful) Resources For Educators These are not listed in any order of preference):

What We Watch:a geographic exploration of popular YouTube videos is from The Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and lets you use a map to see and compare which YouTube videos are most popular in countries around the world.

Google hosts “Top Charts,” which show the top things that people are searching for in multiple categories on a monthly basis.

Here are a couple of examples:

USC Rossier Online, associated with the University of Southern California,  has a rating system for education blogs that they call The Teach 100.

The YouTube Trends Map shows which videos are popular in different regions of the United States and in many countries of the world, along with further filtering by the age of viewers.

The Internet Map shows you the most popular websites in the world, and in each country.

Amazon has a feature called “Most Highlighted Passages Of All Time.” Here’s how Amazon describes it:

The Amazon Kindle, Kindle for iPhone and Kindle for iPad each provide a very simple mechanism for adding highlights. Every month, Kindle customers highlight millions of book passages that are meaningful to them. We combine the highlights of all Kindle customers and identify the passages with the most highlights. The resulting Popular Highlights help readers to focus on passages that are meaningful to the greatest number of people. We show only passages where the highlights of at least three distinct customers overlap, and we do not show which customers made those highlights.

BBC News has a neat Live World Map that shows what news is popular in what part of the world at anytime. Here is a good explanation about how it works.

Richard Byrne has described “Ten By Ten” perfectly. So I’m going to quote from his post, and I would encourage you to go there to read his ideas on how to use it with students: “Ten by Ten is a unique program that links images with news stories. Every hour the top 100 news stories from around the world are linked to images on a ten by ten grid. The stories are ranked.”

Most Popular Educational Videos – All Time comes from a site called eduTube. It looks like there are some pretty interesting ones in the mix.

Again, please let me know what sites I’ve missed….

1. Really useful list of resources designed specifically for educators, great idea to put this together Larry. I would also like to recommend our website http://www.examtime.com as a way to quickly crate and edit educational content (Mind Maps, Flashcards, Quizzes, Notes plus more).

Keep up the good work!