'Learn English Second Life for Teens' photo (c) 2008, Graham Stanley - license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention:

Lost in translation? Do foreign jokes work in English? – video is from The Guardian. You might also be interested in my New York Times post on using jokes as an English language-learning activity.

Language learning: what motivates us? is a very interesting article in The Guardian. I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Articles On “Motivating” Students.

Kyle Mawer – Innovation in education is a good article on using online video games for language-learning. I’m adding it to The Best “Fun” Online Video Games For English Language Development.

I’m a big fan of using Lateral Thinking in the classroom, and here’s a post from The British Council sharing a way to use it as a language-learning activity. You can find more lateral thinking ideas here (scroll down a bit).

Katie Lapham, a teacher in New York City, shares some of the challenges facing English Language Learners in Common Core standardized tests. You might also be interested in The Best Resources On ELL’s & Standardized Tests.

10 nagging EFL questions is from TEFL Reflections.

10 ways to use course books and encourage learner autonomy is from Online TEFL Training. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Adapting Your Textbook So It Doesn’t Bore Students To Death.

If you’ve ever thought about getting an English-teaching job in another country, then this post from TEFL Reflections is a must-read.

It’s a little late, but these next two posts will be good for next year. I’m adding them to The Best Sites For Learning About St. Patrick’s Day (& April Fools Day):

Lessons for St. Patrick’s Day is from Sylvia’s English Online.

The History of St. Patrick’s Day is from ESOL Courses.