Yes, It’s Authentic: School Cancels Kindergarten Play Because It Doesn’t Prepare Kids “For College & Career”

The-reason-for

Yes, this letter from Harley Avenue Primary School is not a parody — it’s authentic.

It’s another one for the “Truth is Stranger Than Fiction” department, joining Video: Though It Seems Like A Parody, It’s A Real Professional Development Event.

1. Wow! Such a disappointment. Putting on a play does foster necessary skills – collaborating with peers, creative problem solving, quick decision making, public speaking, engaging with unfamiliar material, fostering empathy and understanding, and building confidence. I can’t help but worry that educators and politicians are confusing “prepared for corporate America” with well-educated. Also, many of the skills that carry you to success in your life and career are not tangible nor measurable; being good at math, science, and reading are meaningless if you cannot engage with others and maneuver the world in which you live.

2. So all the many teachers who are upset by this posting are not commenting? As a Parent I think that is very interesting. Put up or shut up.